Old 03-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
Cristy
Instepping Out

sock knitters...I have a question!
About 6 or 8 months ago I tried my first sock (dpns). I got to the heel turn, got mad, and quit knitting the sock. Then two of the newest knitters in my SNB started knitting socks on 2 circs and I decided to give it a whirl. I figured it out, thought it was a neat technique but it didn't really hold my interest.

I've always wanted to knit socks--it's the reason I started knitting in the first place...

a couple of nights ago I tried again using two strands of DK yarn and used the North County Cotton Sock Pattern on this site (under free patterns). I whipped up a child's sock in no time and thought it was TONS of fun! Today I decided to knit a *real* pair of socks, pulled out some old sock yarn I had purchased and cast on. In about a round I was fed up again...Maybe it's the tiny needles and yarn that stumps me/bores me???

Do any of you have tips to make sock knitting easier? Is it just those first few rounds? I want to knit socks so badly--I have some of the most beautiful sock yarn that I can only pet and gaze at...

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-11-2007, 10:12 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
When I made my first socks recently, I was getting annoyed with the first few rows, too. I finally just knit a few rows back and forth and then joined. It was much easier to get started that way.

The ribbing part seemed neverending, but once I got started on the pattern of the leg, it was more fun and seemed to go by quickly since each needle had a repeat--kind of marked off the rounds.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
Braden
Instepping Out

The first few rounds are always awkward on double points, especially with tiny needles and fine yarn. Just stick it out, and it will get better.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

Dear Cristy,

It took me a few "practice" ones, too, before I could knit my first "real" sock. I also tried a baby sock first, and a few stabs at a heal turn, before I really "got it." Don't worry. This is all really normal.

Find a set of DP's you love, pick a yarn that excites you, sit down, and go for it. If it turns out to be just another practice sock, don't worry. Consider it all practice, for as long as it takes to truly get it - then you won't ever be able to stop!

Enjoy!!
________
Extreme vaporizer

Last edited by MoniDew : 02-19-2011 at 06:00 PM.
MoniDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
Vendie
2nd Sock, I Rock

It took me awhile to get into sock knitting. For me, it takes an interesting pattern and a fun yarn to really stick with it. It also takes me several rounds to not feel frustrated or fear that I accidentally turned something around or messed up somewhere.

There's nothing wrong sticking with heavier yarn and bigger needles until you get more comfortable with it. Or playing with smaller yarn and needles to get used to that. And there's nothing that says you have to use sock yarn for socks.

That said, should you have the need, I provide a very loving home to sock yarns who's owners can no longer care for them.

It's only uphill until you get to the top of the hill

Vendie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #6
Cristy
Instepping Out

I don't mind making socks w/ bigger needles and yarn but I live in GA and thick socks, unless you like them from around the house--just aren't really needed all that often.

The first sock I made (or almost made--to the heel turn) was on size 3s and used sock yarn and I don't remember it being such a pain....I guess I'm just being impatient.

Don't worry...if I don't get it fairly soon, I'll be looking to swap my sock yarn....I have one beautiful handpainted hank that I paid $36.00 for!!!

Cristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:50 PM   #7
Nikki
Knitting the Flap

Christy, nothing more fiddly than tiny yarn, tiny slick needles and starting a sock. The first 4 rounds are crazy. Here's what I do. After casting on dividing up, joining into a round, I make sure I'm sitting at a table (usually kitchen) and can lay them flat to make sense of them. I can check to make sure my cast on isn't twisted and generally see the sock better. I don't know why this works, but for me it truly does. I hope you get the same results.

Nikki
Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:52 PM   #8
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

Believe it or not, sock knitting actually goes MUCH faster when you're doing a pattern on the leg! Stockinette stitch legs, while easy, are mind-numbingly monotonous. Besides, they tend to sag.

psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:56 AM   #9
redwitch
Working the Gusset

The M and M technique - a big bowl and you get one every round (or every needle if you need a bit of extra encouragement - or chocolate love).

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 02:35 AM   #10
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
I recommend toe up socks. They are much more interesting, IMHO. Prettier too.

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote