Old 03-13-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
Jessica
Working the Gusset

**VERY IMPORTANT INFO FOR PARENTS, PLEASE READ**
This was sent to me by my mom and it scared the heck out of me. I dont have children but I know most of you ladies do. I thought it would be important for you too read and look out for.

Quote:
McDonalds, Chuck E Cheese, Discovery Zone... Some of you might not be parents, but you may have nieces, nephews, grandchildren or friends with children. This will pertain to you too. As I read the following, my heart sank. I urge each and every one of you to pass this on to as many people as you can. I cannot stress how important this is!

This is very disturbing news. In addition to the following true story...
One son lost his watch, and was very upset. We dug and dug in those balls, trying to find the watch.

Instead, we found vomit, food, feces, and other stuff I do not want to discuss. I went to the manager and raised hell. Come to find out, the ball pit is only cleaned out once a month. I have doubts that it is even done that often. My kids will never play in another ball pit. Now read this:

PRETTY SCARY!!

Hi. My name is Lauren Archer, my son Kevin and I lived in Midland,TN. On October 2nd, 1999 I took my only son to McDonald's for his 3rd birthday.

After he finished lunch, I allowed him to play in the ball pit. When he started whining later on, I asked him what was wrong, he pointed to the back of his pull-up and simply said "Mommy, it hurts." I couldn't find anything wrong with him at that time. I bathed him when we got home, and it was at that point when I found a welt on his left buttock. Upon investigating, it seemed as if there was something like a splinter under the welt. I made an appointment to see the doctor the next day, but soon
he started vomiting and shaking, then his eyes rolled back intohis
head.

From there, we went to the emergency room. He died later that night. It turned out that the welt on his buttock was the tip of a hypodermic needle that had broken off inside. The autopsy revealed that Kevin had died from a heroine overdose. The next week, the police removed the balls from the ball pit. There was rotten food, several hypodermic needles: some full, some used; knives, half-eaten candy, diapers, feces, and the stench of urine.

If a child is not safe in a child's play area then where? You can find the article on Kevin Archer in the October 10,1999 issue of the Midland Chronicle.

Please forward this to all loving mothers, fathers and anyone who loves and cares for children!

Don't think it's just McDonald's either or that this is something that just started. When my oldest son who is now 9 was small the area Burger King closed their play area for awhile for "remodeling" because in another town there had been an incident similar to the one described above that happen @ a Burger King.

A little boy had been playing in a ball pit & started complaining of his legs hurting. He later died too. He was found to have snake bites all over his legs & buttocks. When they cleaned the ball pit they found that there was a copperhead nest in the ball pit. He had suffered numerous bites from a very poisonous snake.

Repost this if it scares the crap out of you! Repost this if you care about our kids!!!

AND FYI:

In Florida and other places on the East Coast a group of people are putting HIV/AIDS infected and filled needles underneath gas pump handles, so when someone reaches to pick it up and put gas in their car, they get stabbed with it. 16 people have been a victim of this crime so far and 10 tested HIV positive. Instead of posting that stupid crap about how your love life will suck for years to come of you don't re-post, post this. It's important to inform people, even if you don't drive, a family member might, and what if they were next? CHECK UNDER THE HANDLE BEFORE YOU GRAB IT!!! IT MIGHT SAVE YOUR LIFE! Tell as many people as you can about this serious issue, Repost with the title: ***IMPORTANT NEWS*

read

Originally Posted by CarmenIbanez View Post
I'm pretty sure I'm full of sh*t

http://www.myspace.com/94432495
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-13-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
its another urban legend
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/archer.asp
Lucy78green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,750 Times in 7,120 Posts
Yep, always check that urban legends page for anything like this. I've found the majority of them are hoaxes.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Silver
Instepping Out

The poisonous snakes rumor is false too.

Although they're false, I still get the creeps thinking about dirty diapers, half eaten food and other things in the bottom of a neglected ball pit. Eww.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:45 PM   #5
Birdy
1st Leg of the Journey

Urban legend, yes.

But it was enough to get the ball pit in our local McDonald's closed off permanently.

Now the family that lobbied to get the pit closed are trying to get the entire play structure taken down!
Old 03-13-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
to be fair though... Those ball pits are full on nasty and we all know that there are a lot of parents who don't think anything of pointing out that their child just lost a diaper in there or wet themselves in there, or got sick in there.

It is sad to think of all the things that we thought were fun as kids may be more dangerous than we really would want for our own kids (lawn darts! )

obviously that isn't to say never let your kids in there but i am sure a lot of people don't think about how gross those places can be.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:54 PM   #7
Silver
Instepping Out

I think there's something to be said about becoming more cautious, but at the same time, we lived, didn't we? I remember playing in those ball pits when I was a kid (they were so much fun!!), and I was undoubtedly exposed to all sorts of germies, which hopefully just taught my immune system how to beat them.

Silver's Sock Classes
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Old 03-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #8
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Originally Posted by Silver
I think there's something to be said about becoming more cautious, but at the same time, we lived, didn't we? I remember playing in those ball pits when I was a kid (they were so much fun!!), and I was undoubtedly exposed to all sorts of germies, which hopefully just taught my immune system how to beat them.

Yup... I did way scarier things than playing in a nasty ball pit! Things that my mother is better off not knowing really!
Old 03-13-2007, 02:59 PM   #9
Jessica
Working the Gusset

Oops, shows you how much I know I just didnt want anyone's kiddies egtting hurt.

Originally Posted by CarmenIbanez View Post
I'm pretty sure I'm full of sh*t

http://www.myspace.com/94432495
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #10
Silver
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by brendajos
Yup... I did way scarier things than playing in a nasty ball pit! Things that my mother is better off not knowing really!
No kidding! Every day after school, my sis and I would go trekking through a swamp across the street, just for fun. A FLORIDA swamp. With alligators, poisonous snakes, and who know what else. I still can't believe I never got bit by anything bigger than a mosquito. Eh, anyway.. I digress.

Jessica, no harm done, and even if they're urban legends, thank you for your concern!

Silver's Sock Classes