Old 03-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #11
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
I miss monkey bars.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-13-2007, 03:30 PM   #12
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
wait! they don't have monkey bars anymore?

My brother and I used to play hide and seek and we would ALWAYS hide in the places that we new someone had scared the other one to go to. (mostly it was my dad scaring us for our own good i suppose...lol) My brother was afraid of heights so I would hide on top of the grain bins. I was "afraid" of the machinery so he would hid INSIDE of it. I wasn't afraid of the tractors and combines themselves... but Dad had put a good amount of fear in me for getting into the inner workings of the machinery (not the cab... seriously INSIDE)

My brother and I would have the LAMEST games of hide and seek because we would end up stale mating every time...lol
Old 03-13-2007, 03:58 PM   #13
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Originally Posted by brendajos
wait! they don't have monkey bars anymore?
They're "not safe." And all the playgrounds have that rubber stuff that grabs at your feet so you trip when you try to walk on it. They don't even have proper jungle gyms anymore, just those play things with the slides and maybe a pole and a bridge and the tic-tac-toe thing.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #14
iza
Turning the Heel

It's sad... I understand that safety is important, but on the other hand, where is it going to stop? It's impossible to eliminate all dangers.

It seems very complicated to be a parent, nowadays, with all the do's and don't's... and I find it's sad for the kids, really when I was a kid, nobody was obese, allergic or asthmatic, and we had so much more freedom and space for creativity and experimentation... Now I see kids who only do activities with their parents. I would have find that so boring!
Old 03-13-2007, 04:45 PM   #15
CateKnits
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to CateKnits Send a message via MSN to CateKnits
I loooooved monkey bars! We had some at the playground at Sandy Point that were triangular and I used to climb up inside them and tunnel through them. I was about the only one small enough to do it.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.
~Friedrich Nietzsche
Double Pointed - a knitting blog
CateKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #16
Mommy22alyns
Turning the Heel

My oldest would love monkey bars.

Knitting for baby - those little things fly off the needles!
Mommy22alyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #17
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Originally Posted by iza
It's sad... I understand that safety is important, but on the other hand, where is it going to stop? It's impossible to eliminate all dangers.
Unfortunately, it's not just about eliminating all dangers, it's about eliminating as many lawsuits as possible. We'e become a very litigious society, and this is the price we pay...

Carey
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:30 PM   #18
carmabelle1191
Turning the Heel

Even though I am only 13, it does seem like parks are being replaced more and more often! When I was in third grade, they replaced our tire playground at school for a plastic one, and took down most of the swings. (I actually think it was because a kid got bit by a squirrel who had its nest in there... ). My friend also fell from the monkey bars and broke her arm once, even after the new playground was built, and this prompted the "third grader and older" section where the little kids couldn't play because everyone thought they would fall and get hurt. How many restrictions can you place on kids! There is a limit on how much you can protect a kid. I remember being so bored in second grade because it seemed like no fun without the tires. Ah, the good old days...

My Knitter's Geek Code:
KCR+ Exp+ SPM+(+) Addi+@ KPO++ !Pl Bam-( ) Cas> Syn- Cot++@ Wool(+) Hemp>? Stash++(+) Scale++ Fin+? Ent> FI>? Tex>? Lace>? Felt-? Flat(+) Circ+ ML+ DPN- - Swatch(+) KIP+ Blog EZ(?) FO+ WIP(-) GaugeW (DK) F> S> Sp>?
carmabelle1191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:09 PM   #19
Limey
Turning the Heel

Parents
Hi

Jessica wrote

Oops, shows you how much I know Embarassed I just didnt want anyone's kiddies egtting hurt.

I'd much rather have someone who takes the time and trouble like you did to warn people of hazards to their children, than not to bother or care, so thank you very much, Jessica; I'd never given any thought to those ball play areas being a health hazard to my grandchildren.

All the Best

Limey
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #20
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Jessica
Oops, shows you how much I know I just didnt want anyone's kiddies egtting hurt.
NP, better safe than sorry. I don't have any kiddos either, but those balls do seem pretty nasty! They didn't have them when I was little, but I loved monkey bars too. I was a tomboy.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote