Old 03-16-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
how to control twist
Can anyone give me some tips on how to control the twist...I am getting WAY too much.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-16-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
Julie
Instepping Out

Well....you are spinning on a wheel, right? How many ratios does your wheel have, and which one are you using?

I got some very good advice when I was frustrated by my first wheelspun yarn...maybe you will find it helpful too: http://talk.pixiepurls.com/viewtopic.php?t=301
Old 03-16-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
midnightskyfibers
1st Leg of the Journey

I have a hard time with twist sometimes too- I automatically want to make a fine yarn that is great for socks- not so good when I want a single ply. Low twist yarns end up taking me a lot longer because I have to slow down soooo much- no electric wheel, have to use a jumbo flyer.
Midnightsky Fibers Blog
midnightskyfibers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:08 PM   #4
Silver
Instepping Out

Experiment with the tensioner/brake. More tension = more twist and vice versa. If you're getting too much twist, it needs to wind on faster.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
Thanks for the tips! This is how newbie I am though...I really don't know what any of the stuff with the wheel means...well a little what it means but how to contol it on my particular wheel is a different story (I have an ashford traveller) I know I need to do some reading but I was so excited that I finally got the wheel together that of course I just jumped in and started spinning. On my 2nd and 3rd attempts last night I had a little success with less twist, at least in stretches. I think a big part of my problem is that I want to go fast but this wool top I am using is very difficult to draft. I'm going to try again later today forcing myself to go slow.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
kemp
Grafting the Toe

I looked up the ratios for the wheel so you know what I'm dealing with even though I don't! Ratios: 6.5, 8.5 and 11.5 to 1 It's an Ashford Traveller double treadle, double drive wheel. I read lots of opinions on different wheels before I settled on this one. Seemed like a good combination of features for the money and will do more than just the basics.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:06 PM   #7
dlc
Ribbing the Cuff

I've been spinning quite a lot, but am definitely a no name spinner. My yarns are looking good, but I haven't yet figured out ratios, although they are beginning to make sense. One thing, though, on the early yarns where I tried very hard not to overtwist, they are definitely a little loose for my liking. You do want a fair amount of twist to make a decent yarn. Too little, and it's a little on the soft and fluffy side. I also use a jumbo flyer, and that gives me a lot of control over the speed. Just keep at it. It takes a fair amount of practise for most people to produce a decent yarn.
dlc is offline   Reply With Quote