Old 03-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #1
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

My husband, the knitter
He would absolutely strangle me if he found out I'm snitching on him, but the other night while I was knitting he asked me if it was hard. Told him absolutely not....he should try it. OMG, he picked himself out a couple of needles and I showed him how to cast on and now he's knitting up a storm. I just look over at him concentrating so hard and just smile. He would never ever in a million years admit to this, and would totally have to quit his job if anyone there found out, but I just LOVE it!

Now he wants to go pick out some nice yarn and try a hat, and on and on and on. I would never have imagined he would want to do this. I think it's great. He's terribly clumsy with the needles and his stitches are kinda wobbly, but all in all, it's looking just fine. I had several balls of Peaches and Cream so he decided to do a dishcloth, but now that its dishcloth size and he still has a lot left, he's just keeping on. Probably end up with a towel or something. He's pretty much mastered the knit stitch, so can the purl be far behind?

Good thing he doesn't visit this site. He'd probably divorce me and ask for all my knitting paraphernalia in the settlement.
Sknitter56 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-18-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
Braden
Instepping Out

GREAT! But, he's got nothing to be ashamed about, there are plenty of guys who knit (4 here, I think, including me.) Sounds like he's about ready to learn the purl, too.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

I absolutely agree...he shouldn't be ashamed and he's not at all. He's terribly proud of himself. I think that after he makes his first hat or something and wears it, then brags that he made it himself, he won't care. I made a cowboy hat for him and one of the other guys he works with and he wants to make another one himself, so I think that's going to be his first real project. He's gonna be just fine.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,742 Times in 7,114 Posts
That's wonderful! My husband is fascinated with my knitting, but he prefers to paint.

ContiKnitter... There are a lot of male knitters in KH. Some are more active than others, but they are here. I'm sure I missed at least few, but here's ones I found after a quick search.

boyforpele13
joe_doufu
Jeremy
JoeE
Knitting_Guy
Joel
riverviewpat
Rorshach
landolphe
kevyoga1970
PurpleMittens
wooly_guy
simplethings

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

I know there are many men knitters here and I hope I haven't offended anyone. It's just that I would never have imagined my husband would have any interest in the craft. I think the cowboy hat put him over the top as far as actually seeing something I knitted actually being cool. The baby booties and blankets just weren't his cup of tea.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,742 Times in 7,114 Posts
Originally Posted by Sknitter56
I know there are many men knitters here and I hope I haven't offended anyone. It's just that I would never have imagined my husband would have any interest in the craft. I think the cowboy hat put him over the top as far as actually seeing something I knitted actually being cool. The baby booties and blankets just weren't his cup of tea.
Oh no, not at all! I was just responding to Contiknitter's response saying that he thought there were 4 men including himself who knit here. I think your husband knitting is awesome. There are other women here who's husbands knit, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:02 PM   #7
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

My son wants to learn as well. He is 14. So we're going to do it over the summer break. I would never encourage my husband to learn knitting.

I just don't share well!
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #8
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

Years ago I worked in a large hospital in the radiology department. There was this orthopedic surgeon, big huge teddy bear of a man, who crocheted anywhere, anytime. He made the most incredibly beautiful afghans and such. I remember being so in awe of his work. I was just a kid then (in my 20's) and thought he was the coolest thing that walked. I always admired him for doing what he loved and not caring what anyone said. He was a funny, wise man and I've often wondered if he's still practicing. Guess he would be in his 80's now.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:34 PM   #9
Braden
Instepping Out

Woah, Jan. I didn't know there were so many of us here.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
I wish my boyfriend would, but I tried teaching him once, and he just doesn't have the patience. He loves to watch me knit though. Congrats that your hubby is knitting!

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote