Old 03-18-2007, 06:50 AM   #1
vickyh
Casting On

I don't understand these instructions
I've started knitting a baker boy style cap from a pattern in a magazine. It's my first venture into cables. However I'm finding the instructions tricky to understand and wonder if someone might suggest what I should be doing.

The first 5 rows were knit rows and get you to a point where you have 72sts on the needle. It then says to continue in cable patt as foll:
1st row: (WS) K3, (p4, k5) 7 times, p4, k2
2nd row: P2, k4, (p2, inc in next st, p2, k4) 7 times, p2, inc in last st. 80sts.
3rd row: K4, (p4, k6) 7 times, p4, k2
4th row: P2, C4F, (p3, inc in next st, p2, C4F) 7 times, p3, inc in last st. 88sts.
5th row: K5, (p4, k7) 7 times, p4, k2
6th row: P2, k4 (p4, inc in next st, p2, k4) 7 times, p4, inc in last st. 96sts.
7th row: K6, (p4, k8) 7 times, p4, k2
8th row: P2, C4F, (p5, inc in next st, p2, C4F) 7 times, p5, inc in last st. 104sts.

So far so good. I followed that and it all seems ok. The instructions then say "Cont without further shaping in patt as set until work measures 14cm from beg, ending with a WS row."

This is where I'm stuck - I don't know what to do.

At first I thought I just had to go back to the beginning of the sequence, and just omit the increases, but how can I go back to what row 1 says, because that was for a row of 72 sts, not 104sts as I've ended up with?

Any advice would be appreciated.
vickyh is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-18-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
AmandaC
Instepping Out

Send a message via MSN to AmandaC
I reckon it means knit the knits & purl the purls ... cable where you need to (every 4th row ...)

What pattern are you using? I've always wanted a baker boy cap
Askew - Rowan Summer Tweed - Rush - well... off the needles but needs to be blocked and seamed
Monkey socks - Lisa Souza - Mars Quake

LAST FINISHED:
Anthropologie inspired capelet - mmmmMalabrigo chunky - hummingbird
Simple Knitted Bodice - Glampyre - KP Andrean Silk - Olive
Rowan - Hero Jumper - Rowan Denim
MY MASTER'S SOCK 2 - Lisa Souza - Lime & Violet

I'm toftie
AmandaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
On row 1 it doesn't matter how many stitches there were the first time you did it, the key is here - " (p4, k5) 7 times" You repeat those stitches not just 7 times, but as many as it takes so you end up with a p4, k2 at the end. But yeah, what Amanda said, follow your knitting, not the pattern. The first time through established the pattern, just repeat it.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #4
vickyh
Casting On

Amanda,

I think that you're right. I decided it was more a sequence, than the exact pattern I need to repeat, so I did knit the knits and purl the purls, cabling on the 4th row. It seems to have come out correctly and I've reached the point where I now need to shape the crown.

The pattern was out of The Art of Knitting magazine which I'm getting from my newsagent every Thursday.

Suzeeq - "follow the knitting, not the pattern" - I will remember that wise advice!
vickyh is offline   Reply With Quote