Old 03-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #1
Snugglebugmom
1st Leg of the Journey

Dollar and a half cardigan
I just cast on for this pattern from the latest Interweave Knits issue tonight. (If you want to see it, there is a link in the OTN part of my signature.)
Is there anyone else working on it? Any tips, hints, ideas? I love how it looks, but the lace pattern with the major increase has me confused.

Snugglebugmom

Snugglebugmom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-30-2007, 04:08 AM   #2
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I finished the BACK and RIGHT FRONT, and they are blocking now.

There is a MAJOR ERROR in the pattern:
The photo shows the 'lacework and cable' on the RIGHT FRONT.
The pattern directions put the 'lacework and cable' on the LEFT FRONT.
If that is Ok with you...then go ahead and knit the FRONTS as "written".
If you want the lacework and cable to work out "as shown in the photo" then you need to reverse all the shapings beginning at the armhole edges and neckline. HERE is a photo of the cardigan as shown on the Interweave bonus photos feaure.

The lacework really is a breeze. You get your groove going. Remember, when you are working the 'lacework with cable" RIGHT FRONT...the lacework row sequence goes like this following he 2x2 ribbing: Row 1 once / Row 2 once/Row 3/Row 4/Row 5/Row 6...never knit a Row 7...and then repeat only Rows 3-6 from thereon up.

Decreasing along the neckline edge and armhole edge is tricky because of the lacework involving a 4 st sequence. The pattern direcions tell you how to deal with this issue.

When working the alternating horizontal panels like on the BACK, SLEEVES, AND LEFT FRONT (12 rows of lacework followed by 12 rows rev st st) I had to use a larger needle (US9)for the lacework, and one size smaller (US8) for the rev st st. The rev st st panel puckers a lot. The smaller needle helped eliminate that...although, I still have to block aggressively to remove any further hint of puckering. Sigh. I wish I had downsized to a US7 for the rev st st. Hindsight is 20/20 they say. Too late for me now, but not for you!

What yarn are you using? The pattern yarn? I substituted. I am using a RED angora blend "Cloud 9 by Cascade".

Well, let's keep in touch! I love having a buddy to suffer with!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:42 AM   #3
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Maybe we should start a KAL for this... I'm hoping to CO this weekend sometime

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
Snugglebugmom
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks so much for the tips! I am trying my hand at it in yarn I had in my stash and I figured if I can make sense of it, I am going to invest in something a little more fancy. Right now I am using Caron Simply Soft in a pale yellow, but I have my heart set on the brown color they used in the picture. I'm also using just regular knitting needles instead of a circular. I don't like working with circulars, but I'm not sure if that is going to come back and bite me on the hiney later on in the project! I have the gauge pretty near on so far.
And wow, that is quite an error in the pattern! I haven't made up my mind yet if I'm going to switch the fronts. Your advice to change needle sizes when doing the lace/stockinette panels is great, I am definitely doing that.
I would love to see pictures of your work in progress. I am new at doing lace and this is the most complicated pattern I have tried so far, so a buddy in suffering is exactly what I need as well! Good luck, and have fun!

Snugglebugmom

Old 03-30-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Here are some photos of my Dollar and a Half Cardigan, the BACK and the RIGHT FRONT, knit the way the photo shows.

Notice the slight puckering that still remains on the panels of the BACK.
I have stretched it as far as possible, placed a wet towel on it for a day...then last night, I re-soaked the puckery bottom edges of the rev st st panel, let sit til dry...took this photo...and then I used my mister to re-soak those puckery edges again. I swear, I will remove this puckering! My next step will be to use not too hot water in my mister...and mist the puckers with "hot" water to shrink out those puckers...OR, maybe hold my steam iron over the puckery edges, and work out the puckers with my fingers.

When you get to the first transition (lace panel to rev st st panel)...switch to your smaller needle on Row 7 of the lace panel...it will actually be a Row 12...then start your first row of rev st st and with the smaller needle.
I didn't switch to my smaller needle until Row 1 of rev st st...and I now regret that.

Also, I wish I had sized down two sizes...US9 for the lace panel, US7 for the rev st st.

Well, you are using a different yarn, so check to see how it performs. If you size down by one...if you see no puckering, you are good to go. If you still see quit a bit of puckering, size down another needle size for the rev st st. It is better to tinker with it now...and get it right...than to have to fiddle with this "blocking and shrinking the puckers" later on!

Also, since I am just 5' tall, and have shorter arms than the lady in the photo, I am going to have to shorten the sleeves. Therefore, I am going to do my sleeves as follows: I will do the panel sequences as shown just on the forearm...then, I will do solid lace pattern the rest of the way up. The lace pattern can be stopped short before the armhole cast offs. The panels sequences won't allow that. My sleeves may have one or two rev st st 'stripes' but no more. I think that will look ok. Or maybe, no rev st st panels at all! Just the lace pattern. I will have to think that one through.

One rev st st panel will look like a bracelet...well, when I get there, I will take a photo and see what y'all think! Get a vote.

Yes, I think if we get 3 of us that are knitting this cardigan...we should put this in KAL.

Are there 3 of us yet??? I think so! Dustinac, SnugglebugMom and me!

Whaddya think, Mod Squad? Do we qualify to be tossed into KAL? If so, toss us now...before we get more knitters who will get lost in the GK mix!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	dollar_and_a_half_cardigan_progress_013.jpg
Views:	1221
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	38123  Click image for larger version

Name:	dollar_and_a_half_cardigan_progress_001.jpg
Views:	1227
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	38124  Click image for larger version

Name:	dollar_and_a_half_cardigan_progress_003.jpg
Views:	1230
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	38125  

Artlady at Rav
Old 03-31-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
Snugglebugmom
1st Leg of the Journey

I think it looks wonderful in spite of the puckering! I just did my first rev st st panel last night, switched to needles 2 sizes smaller and I still see a bit of puckering. Not too bad, but for the next panel I am taking your advice and switching to the smaller needles on the last row of the lace pattern.
Your blocking wires look so cool to work with! Where do you get something like that?
I think the arms would look fine in just lace, except it might throw the balance off just a little bit. You know, see-through arms and a fairly solid body. The pattern isn't very frilly, so it might work out just fine though.
Thanks for the pictures, and I absolutely agree, let's make this a KAL!

Snugglebugmom

Old 03-31-2007, 07:18 PM   #7
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Hi there Snugglebugmom!

I started the (I am working the FRONTS as shown in the photo) Left Front today...after the ribbing, lace panel #1, rev st st panel #1, and half of lace panel #2...using the US9 for lace and US8 for rev st st...I just put my foot down on myself...frogged back to the last row of lace panel #1...changed to US7 for the rev st st panel...AND re-knit the 12 rows using the smaller US7 needle! Just an eensy bit of puckering, that will easily straighten out with blocking.

Soooo, that said...hmmm...the smaller needle is a better fit...but...the smaller needle will affect "row gauge"! which matters because the BACK is done with a longer row gauge! Der.
SIGH. This will affect how the BACK side edge meets up with the RIGHT FRONT side edges!

Soooo, that said...here's what I am gonna do: I am going to finish this LEFT FRONT, using US9 and US7.

....and then re-think how I feel about my original BACK (shown in the photo) looking so wonky. Mmmmaaaaaaybe it will straighten out. I am losing faith in it.

If worse comes to worse...I will use my remaining sleeves skeins and knit another BACK using the US9/US7 needle combination...frog the old BACK...soak it, and hang it to dry...and use that frogged yarn to do the sleeves! A lot of work? Yes, but...

This luxurious yarn is just too precious to allow it to be used in an inferior looking garment.
I know I won't wear this cardigan looking wonky in the back. I know me. Darn it.

Thanks for the input about the sleeves! If I do decide to modify the sleeve patterning, it will be worked all in lace pattern...no rev st st. Hmmm, maybe a cable twist running up the arm of the LEFT SLEEVE? That would throw in a twist! The cable seems to lay nice and flat...so it won't make the arm look too plump or puffy. As I said in an earlier Post...I always have to shorten sleeves a little. Like at least an inch. I don't think that will be possible with the lace and rev st st alternating panels. A cable up the side of the LEFT SLEEVE will balance out the cable running up the RIGHT FRONT. What do you think?

I hope the MOD SQUAD will put us in the KAL category. I think maybe the originator of this thread (you) need to ask them to move us to KAL.

Artlady at Rav
Old 04-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #8
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
it looks wonderful!!!

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
Snugglebugmom
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi ArtLady!
I think the cable on the left sleeve is a great idea! I love it when a garment has an original twist like that.
I know what you mean about the back. I wouldn't wear it either unless I felt it was as perfect as I can get it. The main reason I started doing this pattern in cheap yarn was so I could see how it would turn out, learn from my mistakes, and decide if I wanted to invest in a more expensive, luxurious yarn. (That and of course the fact that I am pretty much broke at the moment lol.)
So far it's not working out all that cheap because I frogged the part I did and started over in a dark red color, called Autumn Red. The lace pattern looks so much better in a more outspoken color.
How do I ask the Mods to make this a KAL thread? I'm going to look around and figure it out.

Snugglebugmom

Old 04-01-2007, 04:02 PM   #10
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Find a Post that one of our Moderators have posted, and click on PM (private message), and ask her to put us in KAL.

Usually though, as they are reading all Posts to QC the content, and they spot our request, and do it without a PM.

But, it wouldn't hurt to PM one of them.

I wish I had tried this pattern with an inexpensive yarn first. At least the first 4 pattern panels! I used to sew a lot...and even made a few wedding dresses for non-family...and I would always always sew a muslin mock-up of the bodice...and then have a 'fitting' with the bride-to-be. Then, tweak things that needed adjustment. Sigh. Why didn't I remember to apply those principles to my Dollar and a Half Cardigan???

Artlady at Rav