Old 03-22-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
dink
Turning the Heel

So close to completing my first project...until

Last night I thought I would be able to celebrate my first knitting project (a simple scarf, nothing fancy). I started to bind off, and was on to the very last stitch until something just awful happened! The yarn didn't go under the stitch as it was supposed to and I lost it! I was going to put my needles quickly back in and just save it until I went to my knitting class tonight, but I thought that I could save it, after all, I have to learn how to fix stuff right??

Well, that little mishap, which I'm sure would have been easy to fix had I known how or had access to a computer where I could quick sent out a cry for help, turned into a small frogging experience for me! What a sad sad thing. And, I don't even have a crochet hook yet (can someone tell me if a size matters...I'm buying one tonight FOR SURE!) so I'd lose another stitch, so I'd

Finally, my boyfriend helped me out and got everything back on the needle the way it should be, because I couldn't take it any more!

What a mess though. But, I'm not giving up. Another lesson tonight, and I think this time around I'm just going to learn as much as I can and not focus on trying to finnish something. Practice yarn!

dink is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
Mariblue
Working the Gusset

Bummer. A crochet hook can be a huge help, and I don't think size really matters too much as long as it is not way bigger than the size knitting needle you are using.
I've taken to fixing dropped stitches without a crochet hook (although the crochet hook is just a tad faster) because I often don't have a crochet hook handy.
What I do is this:
Make sure you are on the knit side of your work (not the purl side)
Pick up the dropped stitch and make sure it is on the left needle.
Now pick up the yarn that used to be a stitch (you know, the bar of yarn that is created when a stitch has been dropped) and place that on your left needle too.
Now take the right needle and insert it into the dropped stitch and lift it over the bar of yarn that is next to it. Lift it over and off the edge of the needle. Now that bar of yarn has become a stitch again!
I hope my explanation is clear enough!
And I hope it helped!
Mariblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #3
HamburgKnitter
Knitting the Flap

Ouch! On your very last stitch!

I'm still learning to correct dropped stitches too. That's good advice, Mariblue!

Still trying to convince Henry the cat that knitting is a spectator sport!
HamburgKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
dink
Turning the Heel

That's great help Mariblue! Thanks!

I really should have just left it on the very end of my ribbing so I could know what I did & be shown how to fix it. Maybe tonight that's what I'll do...or explain, and then maybe I could be shown how to fix it. That would be smart thinking.... (so in otherwords, I should have really just left it alone before tearing it apart )

Old 03-22-2007, 12:36 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,798 Times in 7,158 Posts
Oh no..well we've all been there! Amy has a video for fixing dropped stitches. It covers dropped knits as well as purls. Garter stitch is harder to fix and I recently gave up and frogged a garter project, but it IS doable when you learn how.
The video is under fixing mistakes.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...iques/misc.php

I have been using a size G crochet hook which works well for worsted, but there are times when a smaller one would really be better. If you can afford a couple of them all the better.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:39 PM   #6
dink
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Jan in CA
Oh no..well we've all been there! Amy has a video for fixing dropped stitches. It covers dropped knits as well as purls. Garter stitch is harder to fix and I recently gave up and frogged a garter project, but it IS doable when you learn how.
The video is under fixing mistakes.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...iques/misc.php

I have been using a size G crochet hook which works well for worsted, but there are times when a smaller one would really be better. If you can afford a couple of them all the better.
I'm a big fan of the fixing the mistakes videos! I just could not figure out which way the yarn went on the needles again, and how I could get the stitch to pass under so I could be completely done. :wacko:

Tonight, I think I'll tell my teacher what I did, and see if she can help. Chances are, it'll happen again!