Old 04-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #41
candicane
Working the Gusset

Beautiful! I love it! I just started another one with the Turkish cast on. I'm using a 16'' #11. Hope that it doesn't come out too tight. Did you use smaller needles for the top and handles? Hoping I did the cast on correctly, it is a great idea to work the halves as their own "side".

I knit a couple of rows past the cast on in stockinette, then started the lace pattern. I've made it through 2 reps and hope to have more time tomorrow to work on it. I want to give it to my mom as her Easter "basket."

candice
candicane is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #42
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

Thanks! I used a 15 on the bag and a 10 on the top portion. I decided to do that once I saw that's what the original pattern called for.

That'll be an awesome easter basket for your mom. Maybe I should make one for mine. she's constantly carrying things around in plastic grocery bags...

here's what the side looks like with treating each half as it's own piece.
it's a little weird, but i think it looks better than a seam.

Finished '07:
scrunchable scarf,kitty pi, ribbed hat for a newborn, garter stitch rib socks, grandma's favorite washcloths (3), monkey socks, FT clogs, Saturday Market Bag, Pomatomus
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:01 PM   #43
KathyinCali
Turning the Heel

They look great! They also look like they would make a great towel bag for the beach.

Candicane I love your kitty. I have one with the same colors. When he went through his sex change he was shaved bald.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away".

OTN-
Blanket Sweater and Sweaters for My Li'l Lucy!
KathyinCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:35 PM   #44
candicane
Working the Gusset

Thanks for the compliments. My kitty is a Devon Rex, so he always looks like that. He does have a tough guy kind of look, but is seriously affectionate. He sleeps curled up next to me, under the covers, with his head on my pillow. He is 2 and very high energy and sometimes a very bad boy. Curiosity really might kill the cat.

Our other kitty just had the fur around her eye shaved, and then the eye removed. She has been blind in that eye since kitten-hood, and recently developed glaucoma in it. Since she wasn't responding to treatment, they had to take the eye out yesterday. She looks like Frankenkitty and is pretty gruesome sight. The stitches look like really bad fake eyelashes--only without an eye. She seems to be doing ok though for a 17 year old cat.

Candice
Old 04-05-2007, 11:11 AM   #45
Eloewien
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Eloewien
I finally got the camera back from my hubby to download the pictures I took!

Here's my bag, using Cascade Sierra...
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	saturday_market_bag.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	38249  
For mom: Celtic Knotwork sweater
For me: Rogue, shawl of my own design
For friends: Foliage hat, dragonscale wristwarmers
Eloewien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #46
jhelanee
Turning the Heel

Yet another FO post!

Mine is done with Lion Cotton. I modified the pattern to be knit in the round by knitting only the lace repeat section, but knitting an extra stitch at the end of rows 2 and 4 to create the staggering. I seamed the bottom, but am not particularly happy with how it came out. If I do this again I am going with the Turkish cast on! For the handles I used the variation posted in the blog linked earlier.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	net_bag_sm.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	38275  

Recently finished: DH's small-gauge sweater; Secret of the Stole ii - "Savannah"; BSJ (well the knitting anyway)
On Needles: socks; Odessa (from Magknits)

jhelanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #47
XbelovedXoneX
Turning the Heel

everyone's FO's look so great! I'm really tempted to try this again for the 238947 time.

In the market for Custom Software Development? Have a Security matter that needs addressing? Please check out my husband's company: http://www.netsenseusa.com
XbelovedXoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:20 AM   #48
SabrinaJL
Turning the Heel

Ok, for those who've done this and seamed it, how did you do it? I finished it and used a whipstitch and it looks like complete crap.

My blog.

SabrinaJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:00 AM   #49
candicane
Working the Gusset

The blue bags look great! Good idea with the cell phone pouch! What is the name of the color of the Lion Brand cotton--I really like it!

I seamed the yellow bag that I posted. I followed the principle of the mattress stitch, but really just kind of winged it. Surprisingly you cannot see the seam at all and since I loaded it up at the grocery store I know that it actually holds, which was my biggest concern.

I finished another one using the turkish cast on and I'll post pics later. Next one I think I will do with the turkish cast on and work over 75 stitches. If my math is correct, the lace pattern needs to be worked over an odd number of stitches that is divisible by 5. I could be totally wrong on this as math is not my friend. Feel free to chime in if anyone disagrees.

Candice
Old 04-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #50
jhelanee
Turning the Heel

I think the Lion Cotton color was "Sage". It is actually a darker and muddier green than in the picture - not nearly as pretty, sorry.

And I found that the lace stitch pattern only required multiples of two stitches when worked in the round. I ignored the starting K1 or K2 instructions and just began YO, slip etc. Then when I finished the *drop YO, K2* row, I knit one extra stitch to shift the pattern and started in on the lace again. This resulted in my round end shifting diagonally up the side of the bag, but was virtually invisible so it didn't really matter. Let me know if that is not clear.

ETA: I will actually be selling some of the Lion Cotton in the same color I used for the bag in the buy/sell/swap forum in the next day or too if you are interested.

Recently finished: DH's small-gauge sweater; Secret of the Stole ii - "Savannah"; BSJ (well the knitting anyway)
On Needles: socks; Odessa (from Magknits)

jhelanee is offline   Reply With Quote