Old 03-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #1
brokenblossoms
1st Leg of the Journey

Craft Day?
I want to set up a weekly craft day for the women in my Church, because most of them are here because their husbands are in the military, and most of them don't have anything to do all day and say that they get bored...so anyway, before I make any sort of announcement about it at Church, I thought I'd ask you all.

Would 10.30 am on Fridays be too early for you? (btw I'm LDS [Mormon] so there will definitely be quite a few babies and young children there...is 10.30 a standard for naptime?)

Would it be rude not to have some snacks? Or, is it too much to ask people to alternate with bringing snacks so one person doesn't have to do it every week?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

I think it sounds awesome. I'd volunteer yourself to make the snacks for the first 1 or 2 until you get going and then start a rotation or something. Can you have someone watch the kids so the ladies can have time away? I know many churches have retired ladies that wouldn't mind playing with kids for a couple of hours each week. 10:30 is fine if you ask me. Most kids stop taking morning naps around 1-2 years old.
Kelly
Old 03-29-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
Angelia

You could always poll a few of the women at your church about your craft day plans. Not everyone will be able to attend for one reason or other, obviously, but 10:30 on Fridays sounds good (I'd come!). Even 10:00 would work, I think. Both are certainly early enough not to interfere with nap times.

As for snacks, I say have 'em! And a round-robin sounds like a great idea unless you have someone in the group who loves to bake and needs an excuse. (I say that because my mother is like that; she practically makes up her own holidays as excuses to bake cakes )
Old 03-29-2007, 04:57 PM   #4
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

I don't have any kids but I think it's a great idea. it would give thewomen the opportunity to vent and to bond. I agree with the snacks.. maybe you bring the first couple and let the others follow the lead. If they don't bring snacks it's probably not imporant to them as crafting. Our church has booccos of sign up lists for food or whatever. Also, if the older ladies don't want to watch the kids you could ask for 1 lady to rotate each week/visit in the nursery ( that's what we do.. the adult class rotates through the nursery ). Also.. moneymay be tight.. you might ( if it's not a burden to you) supply the yarn and some needles at first ( or ask the church to reimburse you) and maybe some of the older children might want to learn too.

Good idea~!
Old 03-29-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
brokenblossoms
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks ladies! I'm making up a sign-up sheet right now
Old 03-29-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

HEy had a thought Brokenblossoms~ you may have some crocehters in the church as well I would put out the word to see who can do what~
YOU problably have a lot of talent in your church~
Old 03-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #7
brokenblossoms
1st Leg of the Journey

Yep, there are a bunch of crocheters! I want the craft day to be for everyone--knitters, crocheters, sewers, cross-stitchers, needle-pointers, quilters, or people who don't know any of these skills but want to learn or just want to come watch and chat.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:11 PM   #8
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
We have a group like this at my church- it's during the Wednesday night stuff and it's called "Stitch & Pray". I haven't been able to attend, but I would love to if I could!! Anyway, I would definitely join your group!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 05:14 PM   #9
cathoo

Originally Posted by kellyh57
10:30 is fine if you ask me. Most kids stop taking morning naps around 1-2 years old.
Until they hit college

I think 10:30 sounds perfect. That gives them time to see the older kids off to school, and get a few things done around the house before heading off.

Make sure that you put on your sign-up sheets that all are welcome, regardless of skill or craft. I would be scared away if it didn't. And see if you can get some of the more experienced crafters to bring "extra" for those who might want to learn.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:06 PM   #10
bobi1218
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to bobi1218
10:30 is perfect - even babies who still take morning naps are usually up by then. That sounds like a great idea, good luck with it!!

bobi1218 on Ravelry
bobi1218 is offline   Reply With Quote