Old 03-30-2007, 01:28 AM   #1
Paws4Knitting
Ribbing the Cuff

Preference in Needles?
I am new to knitting and would like to know what other knitters prefer to use in brands and types of needles- aka- bamboo, etc.? Thanks! xxx

"People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."
~Faith Resnick
Paws4Knitting is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-30-2007, 02:09 AM   #2
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

FIRST : WELCOME TO KH~!

My peronal preference is for resin (plastic like) needles. i tried metal at first and IMHO they were too slippery and did not "give" with the yarn when I was knitting. I tried bamboo and they are good for beginners b/c the yarn doesn't move much on them.. but as you pick up speed they seemed a little tedious to work with. At the home page there is a link about INTERCHANGEABLE SETS OF NEEDLES. these explain alot about why these are such a good idea.
But as a beginner I would stick with resin and not metal.. ALTHOUGH EACH KNITTER WILL HAVE A PREFERENCE FOR ONE OVER THE OTHER.... part of the fun is finding out what YOU like~!
Old 03-30-2007, 02:11 AM   #3
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Everybody has a different preference. How long have you been knitting? If you've done a bit, what kind of size needle and what needles have you been using?
I would say buy whatever's cheapest until you know what kind you want. That will probably be plastic. If you find them too slippery, you may be a loose knitter, and are likely to prefer wooden or bamboo meedles.
If you find them too sticky/not slippery enough, you probably knit tightly, and are likely to find metal needles better.

But rather than fix your gauge quirks with changing needles, I recommend you focus on knitting more averagely - if you are a tight knitter, try to loosen up, etc. You will really be glad in the long run.
Then next time needles are on sale, buy your favourite size in both metal and bamboo/wood, knit a bit with each and see which you prefer.

Sarah

P.S. I prefer metal/anything with a very pointy tip.
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
dakatzmeow
Turning the Heel

my knitpicks options interchangables. i am sooooooooooo in love!
dakatzmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:21 AM   #5
VickyS456
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to VickyS456
I adore my Boye NeedleMaster kit and knit everything with them. I also started on aluminum, so I'm used to the slip factor. Everyone has their own preference.

I'd pick up some cheepies in different materials, or if you can play around in your LYS even better (and cheaper!) and see which you like and which you don't before investing time and money.

Feel Free To Visit My Blog. It's new and pretty dull, but every blog deserves to be read even a little!
VickyS456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:23 AM   #6
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

When I first started knitting, I liked the bamboo needles because they weren't slippery and I didn't have to worry about dropping stitches.

Now that I've been knitting for a while, I my KnitPicks Options.
look here
The needles are interchangeable so you buy tips and cables and screw them together. wonderful...

Finished '07:
scrunchable scarf,kitty pi, ribbed hat for a newborn, garter stitch rib socks, grandma's favorite washcloths (3), monkey socks, FT clogs, Saturday Market Bag, Pomatomus
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:27 AM   #7
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

IMHO, if you're new to knitting stick with bamboo until you get used to the needles, metal needles can be too slippery for the novice. Once you get more confident and you want to move faster, go for the Options. They are wonderful You get the speed of the Addis at a fraction of the cost.

Nadja xxx

Claire

My Yarn Stash is a Treasure Chest

nadja la claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:00 AM   #8
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Another vote for Options.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:21 PM   #9
dink
Turning the Heel

I am a beginner as well. I have a pair of wooden needles, and another pair of the Boye aluminum which I picked up at JoAnn/Michaels. I actually prefer the aluminum because of the slide factor. It seemed like when I was knitting with the wooden needles, the yarn would bunch up and it would be hard to move it up/down the needle and I'd be pulling at it.

But, I know of 2 other women who are in my knitting classes, beginners like me, who are using bamboo, as well as wood.

As redwitch & VickyS456 said, go out and buy some cheap pairs and find what you're comfortable working with, that's how I am working it now. Just always make sure to hang on to the yarn you're working and it shouldn't slip!

dink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:42 PM   #10
jeanius80
Instepping Out

it depends on the yarn and project for me... i my bamboo dpns with my cotton yarn for my sisters hat. resin works great with slippery acrylics, and i like my metal with my wool. it took me a while to figure that out though. i like how light the bamboo one are too!
jeanius80 is offline   Reply With Quote