Old 03-30-2007, 01:38 PM   #1
spectorkitty
1st Leg of the Journey

Thinking about Knitting
I've only recently started knitting, about two months ago. I've knit some scarfs and a couple of coin purses, some dishcloths but not much else. I've bought a lot of yarn though, haha!

I was admonishing myself about not knitting something big, a project of epic proportions, or at least trying some socks. I tried double pointed needles and had the hardest time with my joins. I got so frustrated because *everyone* else can do it, why not me? Why don't I use that Noro Kureyon that is so beautiful to make some fabulous project? I was berating myself a lot.

Then I thought, So what? So what if I knit scarfs? It's the knitting I enjoy, the watching something from nothing happen. It's the I did that feeling, it's the relaxing aspect of it. It's the I can do that and no one else I know (in person) can do it. It's the washcloth I made my grandma and mom that they love and are proud of me for making.

So I've decided. I'm going to keep knitting to just knit, and be happy and satisfied with it.

Just thought I'd share some thoughts I've been having about my new found love. This board has been a wealth of information for me and I enjoy reading it.
spectorkitty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Good for you!! Knitting should be enjoyable, so do what you enjoy!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
I think that when we start putting too much stress on ourselves and our knitting, then we rob ourselves of the joy of it.

Just do what you want. The desire to try other things may or may not come to you later.

I, personally, like to challenge myself while making something practical. That is usually what drives me.

But, to each his/her own.

Enjoy!!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:14 PM   #4
spectorkitty
1st Leg of the Journey

It's just that I have all this yarn I got with no particular project in mind for it. Probably a mistake but what can I say, I'm just starting this journey.

I thought I had to find the most perfect project for it and make it so wonderful that everyone would be awed by my talent. Yeah I know. haha!

Then I thought, well you know, it is just yarn. It's not a life or death situation, knit anything with it! It makes you happy to knit so do it! So what if it's not a sweater or a shawl with a million changes. So it's a knit scarf. Your family will love it.

Thanks for reading my ramblings and answering!
Old 03-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
I don't think buying yarn is ever a mistake! Even if you don't have the perfect project for it *now*, maybe you will later on! Besides- I am a beginning knitter too, and I can tell you that my family and friends have been awed by my "talent" even when I do scarves or other simple things! Have fun with it- otherwise it's no longer a hobby, it's work. And unpaid work, at that!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
Weebie
Ribbing the Cuff

Quote:
So I've decided. I'm going to keep knitting to just knit, and be happy and satisfied with it.
Yes, this is exactly what you should do!!!!

I was feeling a little silly that I had only made scarves and dish clothes, but just like you, I just like to knit! One day I finally decided to try some socks and I enjoyed that too. But honestly, I love, love, LOVE making scarves, and if I never knitted anything else again, except scarves, I'd be happy!

Enjoy your knitting!

Use that Noro to make a fab scarf!!!
Weebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:38 PM   #7
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

yep~ THAT is the point of knitting~ to ENJOY it~!

NOw that being said.... it's just like anything else you build skills and interests over time b/c as we beging to accomplish new tasks we feel empowered to try new ones.
don't put too much pressure on yourself.. your skills and "knitting prowess' will develop over time~
Old 03-30-2007, 03:41 PM   #8
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Two months is hardly any time at all!!!! I bet a year from now you will amaze yourself at what you can do. You might want to check with your LYS to see if they offer a class. I knitted for 20 years before I took a class and it was AMAZING all I found I could learn!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
spectorkitty
1st Leg of the Journey

Wow thank you for all your replies!

I'm lucky in that I have a few awesome LYS in my area:

Kaleidoscope Yarns, The Knitting Studio, Northeast Fiber Arts Center and a few more I haven't been to yet. they all have been great in helping me with understanding problems I encounter. I'm just waiting for spring classes to start.

I'm so pleased at your answers! Thank you!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:06 PM   #10
aineepooh1
Working the Gusset

Hello Yarnsniffer~!!