Old 03-31-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Trying to learn to spin-have basic question
I attended a spinning class last week. I can honestly say I had the worst results of anyone taking the class. The others argued that fact, but I know they were just trying to be nice.

That said, I am still hooked. The instructor kindly offered to let me bring home one of her many wheels to practice. The problem I'm having is that I can't remember how to actually start.

I've tried and tried to get the wool (roving, whatever you call it) attached to the lead string ,but it just won't.

Can anyone offer me any advice? I really, really want to learn.
Rennagayle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 03-31-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
stacy.duval
Ribbing the Cuff

Hopefully you have a little loop tied in the end of your leader. If not, then do that. Then draft out a little of the roving and stick the tip end of the roving through the loop in the leader. Fold that bit of wool back over onto itself and start spinning. The leader should take up the twist, then go into the wool. Once you have some twist in the tip end of the wool, it should basically be attached to itself, and you can spin from there. I hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #3
dlc
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by stacy.duval
Hopefully you have a little loop tied in the end of your leader. If not, then do that. Then draft out a little of the roving and stick the tip end of the roving through the loop in the leader. Fold that bit of wool back over onto itself and start spinning. The leader should take up the twist, then go into the wool. Once you have some twist in the tip end of the wool, it should basically be attached to itself, and you can spin from there. I hope this helps.
I agree. I've had people tell me that I should be spinning onto the leader, but the loop thing works very well. Good luck with the spinning, it will get better and easier.
dlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #4
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Quote:
Good luck with the spinning, it will get better and easier.
I'm going to hold you to that!

Old 04-10-2007, 12:37 PM   #5
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
It really does get easier very quickly! How is it going now?
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

Other demands of life have gotten in the way this past week, and I've not even had an opportunity to sit, undisturbed, and work on it.

Thursday, I anticipate having the house all to myself all day long. I will spin .... or a fascimile thereof!

Thanks for asking! :D
Old 04-10-2007, 06:49 PM   #7
dlc
Ribbing the Cuff

Try to do a little bit every day or so. A spinning marathon, especially when you're beginning, can leave you frustrated and stiff. Be sure to take a break every so often. Have fun.
dlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
Rennagayle
Working the Gusset

That sounds like good advice.

My house is naturally very dark inside (lots of trees), and I generally prefer crafting with alot of natural light. I'm looking forward to sunny spring days when I can take the wheel outside and sit in my backyard to practice. At least the birds can serinade me there.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:35 PM   #9
Julie
Instepping Out

Seriously -- one of the best pieces of advice I got in the beginning was to spin for 15 minutes a day. It's enough to keep training your hands, but not enough to make you

:D