Old 04-03-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
itsjustmeghan
Knitting the Flap

how did you learn to spin?
i've been looking for spinning classes, and haven't been able to find any in my area on days i'm free. unfortunately, they only have group lessons during the day during the week...and when i have inquired on private lessons, the cost of doing it alone is insane!
do you have any suggestions on how i can find a teacher who will show me how to use a wheel? i'm interested in it, but i don't want to look into investing in one until i've actually gotten to touch a wheel myself!

i've tried the drop spindle on my own watching videos online....and lets just say that it wasn't pretty!

i'd just love to be able to make yarn, dye it myself, and then creat simple things out of that yarn.....

itsjustmeghan on Ravelry
Stitch It!! Podcast
itsjustmeghan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
kashadilla
1st Leg of the Journey

What you've been doing is exactly how I learned. And believe me, the first week or two..or eight, it won't be pretty. Your yarn will be ugly, slubby, overtwisted. I had a batch that was so overtwisted that when it was off the spindle, it spun back on itself so much that it had to be thrown away. (Hubby even spent 2 hours TRYING to untangle it...no cigar.) But after going through almost a whole pound of shetland wool I got on ebay for $15, my yarn is finally to the point where I can knit something out of it, and it looks normal. You'll get there too. A group would be great, but if it doesn't work out, joyofhandspinning.com and icanspin.com are two of the best resources out there. (Not to mention this forum!)

Good luck! Be careful, you'll be addicted. (Better than some other addictions, I always say! )
kashadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 AM   #3
Liliyarn
Turning the Heel

Try searching for spinning groups or guilds. Most people are very generous and will help.

Also look into fiber fairs. Interweave has a list of them I think. Most will offer a basic spinning class.

Spin Off Mag.

And a group class will run from $75-200, depending on your LYS.

There are DVDs that teach spinning. Not perfect, but they work when you're trying it solo.
Liliyarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,909 Posts
The thing that helped me the most was watching spinners in action. There are several videos on You Tube that are really helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlTW_WuHhk8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RL7licL12E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5utto7iOQjo

Here's a very old video that helped me understand carding and spinning better:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEBj3zeFiPg
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:36 PM   #5
mpcmt
Casting On

I belong to a spinning group that meets every first Friday morning of the month. No cost. Just great people. If you live in Western Colorado lmk and I will give you information on when we meet.
mpcmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
dscokween
Casting On

I started first with a drop spindle to learn the basics about drafting/attenuation. I didn't really have much help, so it took a lot longer to figure it out on my own, but I'd agree with others: online videos, plenty of books available, lys classes if available, and local guilds/fiberfestivals.

Most importantly, remember to have fun. One of the ladies I first bought fiber from told me "always keep your first yarn. You'll spend years trying to learn how to make your yarn better, and then try to figure out how to make designer yarns like your first spun yarn again."
dscokween is offline   Reply With Quote