Old 04-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #121
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Debbie
The line down my "flame" is looks ... different ... than everyone else. I figured out that I am slipping as if to knit instead of slipping as to purl ... I am going to just keep on doing it that way but will change if I make another one. Will post pix soon!
Wasn't it Sally Melville that said, "Once is a mistake, twice is a problem, three times or more is a design"? Well Debbie, it seems to me that you just created a customized version of the Candle Flame Shawl!

Okay, I'm not very good at the computer stuff, but I'm going to try to post a corrected version of the shawl pattern. I opened up a group at MSN, and I think the document comes up in Microsoft Word. I have broadband internet connection, but for those with dial-up, this document may take a deal of time to load. Anyway, here's the link below; please let me know if you can access it and how it is (I hope it helps):
http://www.msnusers.com/Cookwormskni...orrections.doc

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-20-2007, 10:25 PM   #122
Braden
Instepping Out

Okay, I've made LOTS of progress on mine, and I'll post pics tomorrow. Sorry I haven't been around lately to answer some of the questions, I've been busy with school stuff. It looks like I might have to order 1 or 2 more hanks of wool, but I don't know yet.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:20 PM   #123
merryknitter
Knitting the Flap

Slipping As If To Knit
Debbie,
I thought that's what the pattern says to do at the very beginning! Like as if to knit two together?
Merry
merryknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:01 AM   #124
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by ContiKnitter
Okay, I've made LOTS of progress on mine, and I'll post pics tomorrow. Sorry I haven't been around lately to answer some of the questions, I've been busy with school stuff. It looks like I might have to order 1 or 2 more hanks of wool, but I don't know yet.
What are the dimensions of your shawl so far, Conti?

I'm on flickr, too!
Old 04-21-2007, 08:38 AM   #125
Debbie
Working the Gusset

EDIT ... THE PATTERN DOES SAY ...like when you k2tog !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merry, No, I THINK ... when you slip a stitch ... it is always as if to purl unless it says otherwise. So you put your needle into the stitches like you are going to purl .. then slip them off. I have an all day "thing" today but will post a picture of mine tomorrow and show you the difference.

I like the way mine looks ... so as long as you do the same thing every time it doesn't really matter. You are still decreasing two stitches.

Debbie

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:45 AM   #126
Debbie
Working the Gusset

Merry ..... I went back and looked at the pattern and you are right .... IT DOES SAY to do it as if you are knitting two together !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And now that you mention it .... I remember thinking that I would have to remember not to do it the "usual" way...

Is everyone else slipping as if to knit ????????????? Cuz if you are ... I don't know WHAT I am doing differently !!!!!

I am DebbieKnits on Ravelery
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:15 AM   #127
TeenKnitter
1st Leg of the Journey

Hey guys, I don't think I can join the KAL at this point, but I was wondering approx. how many yard of yarn a good-sized candleflame shawl takes? I'd like to substitute another yarn, maybe WOTA, and need to know how many skeins to buy. Thanks!

ON's: Water bottle cozy; socks in Knit Picks 'Frog Prince'; 4th pair of Bella's mittens
TeenKnitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 11:45 AM   #128
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by TeenKnitter
Hey guys, I don't think I can join the KAL at this point, but I was wondering approx. how many yard of yarn a good-sized candleflame shawl takes? I'd like to substitute another yarn, maybe WOTA, and need to know how many skeins to buy. Thanks!
Teen knitter, we really don't know much yarn the shawl uses because the original pattern doesn't give yarn requirements for the bulky weight yarn they use, nor do they list dimensions. If you're subbing equal gauge bulky yarn for the Lamb's Pride bulky, I would guess you'd need maybe 500-600 yards of bulky weight yarn, but there's really no way to know for sure.

I'm on flickr, too!
Old 04-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #129
Belphoebe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Belphoebe
I'm using worsted and have four skeins on hand...approx. 1200 yards. I want to make sure I have enough. I can always use the leftover for more blankies for my daughter's dolls or socks or something.

Thanks for the recommendations on circular lengths. As soon as payday rolls around, those 60'inch Addi Turbos are mine!
Belphoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #130
merryknitter
Knitting the Flap

Thanks Debbie! LOL!
Hey Debbie...thanks for clarifying that...I am so just learning all these stitches and just learning how to read a pattern!

After talking to my friend at the LYS today, she seemed to think that I would NOT need the 60 inch...that the 47 inch length would be fine! So, I think I'm going to go with that!

Have a nice weekend!
Merry
merryknitter is offline   Reply With Quote