Old 04-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #151
Belphoebe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Belphoebe
Monday is payday for me and I'm getting 60" circulars. My poor circulars I have now are full and I REALLY want to knit! ARRRGGGHHH!!! Monday can't come soon enough! Wonder what I can knit until then.
Belphoebe is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-29-2007, 10:22 PM   #152
cookworm
Working the Gusset

I just finished my shawl!

Here's information on my shawl:

I used a worsted weight yarn and a size 8 (5mm), 47" circular needle. I used a size 10 (6.5mm) to cast off, but I think I could've even used an 11 (8mm). I used a total of 512 yards/468m, and unstretched, the shawl's measurements wound up being about 56" across (the "wingspan"), about 27" from the middle of the shawl down to the point, and about 38" down the side (I use the term "about" in the measurements because the stitch it stretchy and it made it difficult for me to measure accurately). I did not understand the directions in the pattern on how to do their garter stitch border, so what I did was to knit six rows of garter stitch, then bind off. For some reason, my garter stitch border kind of buckled; I'm not sure what I could've done differently, and it has given the shawl a wavy appearance when it's lying flat (and it doesn't lie completely flat)--if somebody knows what could cause this to happen, please post (maybe that's why the pattern has you work the garter stitch border the way it does, to prevent the buckling?). Could using a different sized needle on the six rows of the garter stitch border prevented this perhaps? Once I have the shawl on, you don't notice the waviness, though. I made two small mistakes on the shawl that I didn't know how to go back and fix, so other than that, it came out really nice. What I didn't like about it is that the reason I bound off when I did is because the length started to get to be long enough for me, but I wish the "wingspan" was even a bit longer so I can wrap it around my arms a bit more when I wear it, but maybe that's because I used worsted weight yarn?

All in all, it was a good first attempt for me; I'm considering making one for my best friend, and I think by doing mine first, I worked out all of the bugs (so to speak) of making this shawl. It was a really fun knit and it went really fast, and it looks really "professional", and I think it looks much harder than it actually was to knit (which is always a plus in my opinion! )
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	close_up_201.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	39137  Click image for larger version

Name:	c_f_shawl.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	39138  

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cookworm For This Useful Post:
Arielluria (07-27-2007)
Old 04-29-2007, 10:32 PM   #153
cookworm
Working the Gusset

One other thing I forgot to add in my previous post. If I had it to do all over again, I would've gotten the 60" circulars instead of the 47" ones, but that's my personal preference (I don't know if my opinion helps anybody) because as I get closer to finishing my shawls, I like to have them extended out to their regular length or width so I can measure them (if I'm not working from a pattern) to my preferred length or width, and it's hard to do accurately when they're scrunched on the needles. But again, everybody is different and has different preferences; I just thought I would mention my own personal thoughts if it might help somebody.

I'm on flickr, too!
Old 04-30-2007, 06:27 AM   #154
DQ
Working the Gusset

Wow Cookworm! It's lovely

I've somehow managed to reverse the pattern on mine Not that I'm too upset because I'm still learning and it's not expensive yarn anyway. But I've got an extra stitch from somewhere again and I don't know what to do with it I'm not going to frog though
Old 04-30-2007, 11:32 AM   #155
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Cookworm, that's beautiful!!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:54 AM   #156
Mommy22alyns
Turning the Heel

Cook, that is beautiful! I love the color. So you started it right on the 47" circulars? And pardon my newbie-ness, but why did you go up needle sizes to knit the garter border and cast off?

Knitting for baby - those little things fly off the needles!
Mommy22alyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 02:30 PM   #157
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Mommy22alyns
So you started it right on the 47" circulars? And pardon my newbie-ness, but why did you go up needle sizes to knit the garter border and cast off?
Actually, I think I started it on 32" circulars because that's all I had at the time. Otherwise I would've started right on 47" or 60" circulars.

And I didn't go up a needle size to knit the garter border, but I'm not wondering if I maybe should have (maybe it could've remedied my problem with the top of the shawl buckling?). My garter stitch border buckled, and I think I know why. You know if you're looking at the shawl on the right side with the "flames" facing you? And all of those purl stitches that kind of get "buried" in between the flames? Well, the stitch pattern kind of "pops" out (I hope I'm explaining what I'm trying to say clearly) and bends a bit, giving the shawl its stitch definition and each flame its curvy shape. By knitting a garter stitch border, now all of those flames nearest the border are going to be forced to lie flat when they're supposed to curve and bend, while the ones underneath it are curved and bent, which is why I think the top buckled. If I could've understood how the directions were explaining on how to do the garter stitch border, maybe their garter stitch border took all of this into account and it could've prevented the buckling, I don't know.

I did go up on needle size to cast off though; I always do, because my bind offs are always VERY tight. By using a larger needle, the bind offs won't be so tight and they'll have a little more "give" to them. This way, my bind off's stretchiness matches my cast ons stretchiness more closely.

Thanks for the compliments, everybody!

I'm on flickr, too!
Old 04-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #158
Braden
Instepping Out

You finished? When did you start? It's really pretty! What yarn is that?

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 07:59 PM   #159
Belphoebe
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Belphoebe
Nice job! I like the color, too!
Belphoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:18 PM   #160
merryknitter
Knitting the Flap

Contiknitter
Hey Contiknitter!
Can you explain that bind off on the shawl in plain English? Did you follow that on the pattern?
Thanks,
Merry
merryknitter is offline   Reply With Quote