Old 04-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
Jess_knit
1st Leg of the Journey

First handspun yarn!
I just got my drop spindles and some blue faced leicester roving today, and immediately set about making my first yarn...this is what I came up with:

My first singles

My first skein

The plying isn't very nice..I had all kinds of trouble with the yarn spinning together without my doing it

I have no idea what I can do with 19 grams, 11 yards of bumpy yarn, but I made it!

Next goal: to dye some roving myself.

On the needles: Mystery Stole 3 (Zephyr), Monkey Socks (Running Wild Yarn), Steelers Socks (KnitPicks Essential)
Jess_knit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Julie
Instepping Out

Old 04-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
Looks fantastic for your first attempt! Are you hooked now?
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #4
Jess_knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks!

I am definitely hooked! I have a couple spindle books waiting to be ordered off amazon, and plans to save up for a wheel (not being able to try any, I think I'll get the Fricke S-160.)

Spinning has the same awesome feeling of knowing you just made something completely unique that I get when I knit. I love it

On the needles: Mystery Stole 3 (Zephyr), Monkey Socks (Running Wild Yarn), Steelers Socks (KnitPicks Essential)
Jess_knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:36 PM   #5
Julie
Instepping Out

I love my Fricke!

Just wait until you knit something with your handspun...what a great feeling! I keep looking at the socks I'm knitting and thinking, "a few weeks ago that was a big ball of fluff!" :D
Old 04-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
Leah22b
Knitting the Flap

Congrats!

I think it came out wonderfull for a first time.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
samm
Turning the Heel

I'm waiting for my spindle to arrive! I'm so jealous that you have actually made your own yarn!!! Soooooooonnn....... It looks very pretty to me. Can you spin more? It would make lovely mittens, but then, I live in cold old Canada. I don't know where you are, so maybe mittens are not in the plan. You did well! I sure hope I can spin first time I try it! I can't wait!!! samm
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
samm
Turning the Heel

My spindles came today!!!! Yup! About an hour ago. I bought two because I didn't know which I'd like better. I bought roving from the farm's alpacas and a wee bag of bright yellow beautiful lincoln sheep wool to try. I'm a tad bit worried about trying this though, just from internet photos. It seems too simple and too hard at the same time! I do want to spin, though, and this will make mittens or socks or something if I can do it. Wish me luck folks! samm
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:20 PM   #9
whimzypinzycreations
Casting On

Send a message via Yahoo to whimzypinzycreations
oh WOW! that is beautiful!!
great job!

my first attempt was with merino/tencel... lol I did not know that was not a good choice for a beginner lol lol