Old 04-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
EssenceRose
Knitting the Flap

Needle Preference
I started a sock on two needles AGES ago (before I learned of the wonders of DPN's). I only JUST decided to pick it up and finish it since I've finally finished the baby blanket I was working on.

Only I was working on it with bamboo needles and I just could NOT get into it. So I thought "hmm... maybe if I switch it to my metal circulars, it will be easier (ie the stitches will slide along the needles easier). Lo and behold!! Suddenly, I've finished a good 6 rows no problems.

Turns out I'm not really fond of wooden or bamboo needles at all. I'm not really fond of straight needles, either. Hah! Go figure! LOL I've turned into a needle snob (now if only they'd start selling good brands over here).

Do you have a needle preference??

On the hook! - Fan Bookmark Scarf , Friendship Doily, Fan Bookmark

Rantings of a Crazed Woman!

EssenceRose is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
carmabelle1191
Turning the Heel

I just purchased a pair of Addi Turbos, and i am in LOVE! They are the perfect needles. The nickel-plated allows my stitches to move along easily, and I can knit faster than I normally do, believe it or not. When I don't have the money for Addi Turbos though, I usually buy metal needles. But it also depends on the yarn. I have a few pairs of Clovers, but when i went to do knit with cotton, I nearly killed my hands trying. But with other yarns, such as slippery yarns (ceratin types of acrylic), it works better on the Clovers and not the metal pairs. The only problem I have with the metal needles is that my hands sometimes get sweaty when I'm too warm, so my needles get sticky and then I have to go wash thtem off, as gross as it sounds. My least favorite needles, though, have to be plastic, because it doesn't even seem like real needles to me, as they have no structure and I'm always getting slowed down because the yarn doesn't move easily. So I guess I would say I'm a metal fan. But I just ordered a set of KP Options, so I'm probably get addicted to those.

My Knitter's Geek Code:
KCR+ Exp+ SPM+(+) Addi+@ KPO++ !Pl Bam-( ) Cas> Syn- Cot++@ Wool(+) Hemp>? Stash++(+) Scale++ Fin+? Ent> FI>? Tex>? Lace>? Felt-? Flat(+) Circ+ ML+ DPN- - Swatch(+) KIP+ Blog EZ(?) FO+ WIP(-) GaugeW (DK) F> S> Sp>?
carmabelle1191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:52 PM   #3
Duckling326
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to Duckling326 Send a message via Yahoo to Duckling326
I learned on bamboo and that is my preference. I tried knitting with plastic and found it too slippery, tried with some metal and didn't like the feel. Someone sent some addi *I think* they're not metal but plastic like. Those are smooth but I don't like the feel. Guess I like my WOOD!
Recently off the needles Sleeved Poncho, Little Girls Dressy Coat

Recently learned to weave on that is going to be a pillow
Duckling326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:59 AM   #4
redwitch
Working the Gusset

I've been relatively happy with my Spotlight metal circs - nice pointy tips - but only after pulling out the cord (not hard at all, I think they're not even glued at all, just put in!) and supergluing it back in. Give them a good tug before using them to be sure - I glued all mine back in after the needle and cable separated while the join was in the middle of a round of stranded colourwork on 2mm needles! FURIOUS! rip rip...
And it's not snobby to prefer one type over another! The Spotlight ones don't compare to my lonely 3mm Addi (of some type) - beaut cord and join. And needle, too, actually! Shame they didn't have more, I picked it up in HK but it's not a size I commonly use.
It drives me nuts when people advise new knitters to use wood/bamboo because 'they're better/metal needles drop stitches all the time' etc. I prefer metal needles and have from the time I first started knitting, but that doesn't mean I recommend them to new knitters as better and 'stitches don't get stuck on them'! A new knitter may find either type easier.
I do like the fact that wood/bamboo can be sharpened, which I can't do to too-blunt metal needles!

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:10 AM   #5
brokenblossoms
1st Leg of the Journey

I looove bamboo!
Old 04-10-2007, 01:28 AM   #6
Mariblue
Working the Gusset

I prefer metal needles. I have a size 1 knitpick circ that I just love. I also have a couple susan bates circs (size 2, and 3), that are pretty good, in my opinion. I like straight knitting needles too, but always metal. I have a couple bamboo double pointed needles that I like to use for knitting cables, because they don't slide out of the stitches on me, but that is all I use them for. For one, I discovered that I much prefer magic loop for knitting in the round, and another, I don't like the feel of the wood with the yarn...the way it slides across the wood. I'll probably switch to all circular needles over time though.
Mariblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
cathoo

I love my metal DPNs and hate the plastic ones I bought in an emergency (they taste funny! How do they end up in my mouth all the time????)
I also love my single pair of wooden needles, because they are very short & perfect for taking on the train. The only problem is that the tips aren't sharp at all.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:44 PM   #8
Braden
Instepping Out

I really don't like anything except nickel-plated needles, and the only ones I use are Addi Turbos and Knit Picks Options.

CONGRATULATIONS TO AMY AND SHELDON ON THE BIRTH OF THEIR DAUGHTER!

BradenCS on Ravelry
Braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
I like Clover bamboo DPN's for small circular knitting, or as a cable needle, and my Options for everything else.

Cathoo, my needles are always in my mouth!

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
This question gets asked a couple times of month at least. I searched the forum and found a few recent ones;
Needles thread 1
Needles thread 2

The top of the forum has a dedicated post for needles, too. The last dozen pages or so probably have all the newest needles on there, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote