Old 04-10-2007, 09:09 AM   #1
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
Tell me the truth now.
How many of you do gauge swatches for your socks? Or is the sock itself in fact your gauge swatch?

I had a little sock issue this past weekend. I was using Socks that Rock (compliments of feministmama from a year or so back) and was trying something new. I normally do a ribbing throughout the sock.....I have friends who do ribbing at the top then switch to stockinette....boring but fast and with STR, who needs a pattern, the yarn is so pretty without it!. Well, something went awry, and in hindsite, I think it was the heel - probably the rest would have been ok....anyway I ripped it all out. When I do-over - I will cast on with the same amount (56) on the same needles (Inox size 2's) as the top part was fine......

So I posted a question on the socknitters list. Many of the responses I received had to do with gauge and math and all those things that make my head swim......

So....back to the original question - do you swatch for socks????

http://knittykittyworld.blogspot.com/
Ravelry - I am Suegene
OTN : Dream in Color Smooshy Monkeys, Block a month afghan (on block 11)
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-10-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
ReneeKnits
Knitting the Flap

Nope, never. But, I haven't made many socks so maybe I've just been lucky.

I do make gauge swatches for everything else I knit though.
ReneeKnits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:18 AM   #3
cathoo

The one time I did, the sock ended up being 3 times wider than it needed to be! I could fit both of my hands inside of it!
Old 04-10-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
JoeE
1st Leg of the Journey

I did on the last pair I knit, because I'd never used actual sock yarn and size 2 needles. I'm glad I did, because my guesstimate at my gauge was way off. On the other hand, I didn't wash/block the swatch, because I was afraid I'd run out of yarn. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't shrink or grow when it hits the water. I've never had that happen yet, but I've heard horror stories about it.

Joe
Old 04-10-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
Miss Moosey
1st Leg of the Journey

I do gauge swatches, but I don't spend hours going up and down in needle sizes trying to make it perfect; I use it as a rough guide.

I figure if my socks come out too big (which is rare, as I have enormous feet), I can give them to people with bigger feet. And if they come out too small I can give them to my mom (who has small feet). And if they come out really really really small I can give them to one of my younger students!

Rebecca
Old 04-10-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
I usually do simply because I'm a tight knitter, but I've learned that since I usually have to go up about two needle sizes to get gauge, I just automatically do that.

That being said, however, I still think it's a good idea to do them. My tension has started to loosen, I believe, which made my most recent sock a bit too big around (not length, since I tried on as I went). I'm frogging the sock and doing them on the size needle recommended in the pattern.

I also have not found that my socks shrink. It's probably the cotton blend I use. Although I would be willing to bet that wool socks would shrink.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

always. i love socks, but i'm picky about them and want them to fit correctly.

The pair that i'm working on now, i'm on my third needle size. 3 for the calf, 2 for the ankle, and 1 for the feet. I got gage on size 2, but wanted the calf bigger. after finishing the ankle, i slipped my foot inside, decided it wasn't tight enough across the foot and switched to size 1.

Finished '07:
scrunchable scarf,kitty pi, ribbed hat for a newborn, garter stitch rib socks, grandma's favorite washcloths (3), monkey socks, FT clogs, Saturday Market Bag, Pomatomus
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #8
kitkat
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to kitkat
Interesting, ladies! Luckily with a sock its pretty easy to tell if its off or not. Easy to try on too!

I am still a relative sock newby - so am working on figuring out what works for me best. I have done 3 different heels now - and like the first one I learned the best....now that I have done several pairs, I can see what the differences are the relationships between the numbers.....so I can tailor patterns to myself.

http://knittykittyworld.blogspot.com/
Ravelry - I am Suegene
OTN : Dream in Color Smooshy Monkeys, Block a month afghan (on block 11)
kitkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
jdee
Working the Gusset

I admit that I never do a gauge swatch. I've always been confused about the math, and have just never bothered. So far, my socks have been fine, and I've never knitted any sweaters, or anything that needed to fit someone, so it has never mattered too much.

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:57 AM   #10
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
If you learn to do toe up socks, you can easily try on as you go and make size modifications.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote