Old 04-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
lindaault
Casting On

help

how do I turn my project to do sides, when I am making a bag, and I still have stitches on the needle, from doing the base.
lindaault is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:36 PM   #2
five_six
Turning the Heel

you will need to use circular needles and pick up stitches all around the base of your bag, then you join and start knitting. I'm guessing the base was done on straights?

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
Ladybug Lady
1st Leg of the Journey

Is your base a square or rectangle? If so, you probably have stitches on the needle that cover just one of the four sides of your base. If you are using straight needles, you now have to change to a long circular needle. Once your initial stiches are on the circular needle, you will need to go around the rest of the three sides and pick up stitches. Typically when you work the first side extra side, pick up one stitch for each row. Then on the second side, pick up one stitch for each stitch. On the third and final side, pick up one stitch for each row.

I've found it helpful to use a crochet hook to pull the working yarn through the work and then to slip that loop over my needle when picking up stitches. Especially when working around a square/rectangle. Things will get really jammed together on the corners, but after working a few rows in the round, that will ease itself out.

Once you've picked up stitches for the 3 sides, JOIN your work and begin working in the round. That is to say, once you've picked up your last stitch on the 3rd side, knit the first stitch that was on your needles before you began picking up stitches. Keep going in a circle, don't work back and forth anymore.

There is a demo video of how to pick up stitches here in the basic techniques ...and More section.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...iques/misc.php

Hope this helps!!

"I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has had to overcome while trying to succeed." ~ Booker T. Washington

WAGE PEACE!!

"Be the change that you want to see in the world." ~Mohandas Gandhi

"Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you." ~Jesus
Ladybug Lady is offline   Reply With Quote