Old 04-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
stacyk9
Knitting the Flap

OT: Weight Watchers
Does anyone here do Weight Watchers? I have got to do something. I mean, seriously, I gained 3 1/2 pounds just over the weekend! It's getting ridiculous. I concede that I can't do this on my own and need help. I need alot of structure. Just wondering if anyone has any advice as to which plan has worked for them or maybe someone is doing something other than Weight Watchers which has worked as well.

Thanks!

Stacy
stacyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-11-2007, 09:57 AM   #2
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
I have done WW and really liked it. I lost about 35lbs in 4 months... then I got pregnant and gained it all back. :( I think the decision about which plan to follow just depends on your personality and what will work best for you. If you plan to go to meetings, they will explain everything to you. I've never done the online plan, so I can't tell you anything about that.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
bip
Turning the Heel

I did WW about 4 years ago and lost 35 lbs in about 6 months. I kept it off for about 2 years, then DH had a kidney transplant. He dropped down to 117 lbs and started eating a pound of chocolate a day to regain weight. Apparently I joined him, 'cause 6 months later we had BOTH gained 35 lbs. Argh.

I tried going back but I couldn't get into it. I am the kind of person who has to be in the right frame of mind to do anything, and I just haven't gotten my mind there yet...I really need to.

I say give it a shot. It is a little corny, kind of 12-step like, kind of culty - you kind of need to turn off your cornyness-sensor and drink the cool aid. I really had to check my sarcastic, cynical self at the door.

It is a very solid program and it really does work. It is probably the healthiest way to lose weight out there.
bip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
bellium
1st Leg of the Journey

i had a very good experience with weight watchers. i lost 85 pounds in a little over a year, and kept it off for 4 years. the nice thing about weight watchers is that it teaches you a lifestyle change, not a diet - going to the meetings where there are other people doing the same thing as you, and having someone else weigh you every week are both very motivating!
bellium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
BarbRude
Casting On

WW On line
I have been doing WW on line, I am doing the core program. So far it is working out fine, I am down 8 pounds in 3 weeks. But you do have to be in the right frame of mind to make it work. I work in a law office and there is food everywhere all the time, but I bring my breakfast and lunch and I stay away from the food (although free food is always hard to turn down) and vending machines. Good luck with anything you might try.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
kashadilla
1st Leg of the Journey

yep! both my parents lost over 50 lbs each on it, and I'm on it now. I love it because you really can eat whatever you want, as long as you do it in moderation. and even if you go over your points, you can go for a 30 minute walk and gain a couple more points to cover it. As for corny, I don't think its corny at all. well, the meetings are a little bit, depending on the leader, but I've seen worse. Richard Simmons' Deal A Meal anyone?
My favorite thing about weight watchers is that you don't have to buy food from them if you don't want to. You can search for ww recipes online and find tons. I started cooking them for dinner and dh never even knew. My downfall is soda, and you can have all the diet soda you want! thats great. I don't have anything bad to say about WW I guess. Just keep up with tracking points if you're on the flex plan.
kashadilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:34 AM   #7
Kirochka
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via AIM to Kirochka
My mother and I have both done WW through the "At Home" kits - we've never joined online or in person, but both used the point system (which I think may have been revised since we got our versions) and both think it's a good plan. Myself, I lost about 20 pounds (caveat: I also was put on thyroid medication at the same time as I started WW), and have maintained the loss for a number of years now. I basically now count points for 4 days a week and don't count them for 3, and it seems to work.

Kirochka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
traceleighj
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to traceleighj
Stacy-

I have been doing WW at home since last September. I have lost 28 pounds so far and have lost a size and a half (I am teetering on the next smaller sice ). DH and I started together but he has since dropped it, but I still cook for him like he is.

I feel much better, but I have been at a plateau- think I need to step up on the counting points! I only fluctuated up or down a pound over the holidays, so I think that was really good!

Good Luck!
Tracie
traceleighj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #9
stacyk9
Knitting the Flap

Thank you for all your great responses. It has really helped me make up my mind to do this.

Karen- What is the "At Home" kit?

Thanks again, everyone. I love hearing success stories.

Stacy
stacyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #10
nonny2t
Instepping Out

I have been on WW since Feb 3 and have lost 23 lbs so far. I love the program. It allows you to eat what you want and also helps you to learn to eat portions and do portion control. I wished I had started it a long long time ago. I am on the FLEx program . My husband started it with me and has lost 17 lbs in the same amount of time.

Faye
nonny2t is offline   Reply With Quote