Old 04-13-2007, 12:15 PM   #1
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

summer dress pattern
Im thinking of knitting an easy summer dress but havnt been able to find anything right.
all the dress patterns i have seen (and i havn't found that many) have been either too autumnal or too....frumpy.

I had in mind a dress i used to own, which was basically a long tube of knitted cotton, which rolled at the bottom with thin straps which wherent separate pieces attached and had a slghtly roled almost cowl neckline to it. It was designed so that you would wear two together, a knee length one with a shorter one over the top.

so somthing simple and loose like that. I saw somebody had knitted a dress for their daughter that was basically a tube, and quite liked the look of that too. any ideas?

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-14-2007, 10:34 AM   #2
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I hate posting anything from e-bay but I've been trying to think of the sort of thing you mean. This is the closest I can find in terms of design even though it's not meant to be double layered:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-RAMPAGE-SEXY...QQcmdZViewItem

I've never seen a pattern for something like that online either. I think a cowel over a tube top style would look too much myself but perhaps I don't know quite what you mean. I suspect a longer skirt with something like this image that is shorter but could be worn over top would give a layered look but not make the bust area look too bulky and awkward.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

yes the neck was somthing like that, very flimsy - the idea of layering a short one over a longer one was because the knitted fabric was so thin it was almost see through on its own. thanks for finding the picture.

BTW te skirt part of the dress is straigh with no real shaping that i can remember.

thanks

Old 04-14-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

You know, I might consider looking through pattern books and making what you want out of knit fabrics rather than trying to knit it up yourself. I've really only seen crochet items anything like that and for some really flimsy that will hold it's shape and for the length - gosh, you'd spend hours knitting something fine. Knit material at least is done and then you're doing that making. Many seamstresses are happy to run up items for others at prices that are reasonable - and certainly between material and that cost you may wind up spending less than for yarn for that type of garment.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

lol you may be right! sometimes i can get a bit ambitious guess

Old 04-15-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
Nobones
Turning the Heel

Send a message via MSN to Nobones
I have a knitting book called 'Naughty Needles' In there is a 'strappy' dress made in a light weight yarn.

My dress & costume making website-
www.gothwardian.co.uk

'Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work'. -Aristotle

Nobones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:25 AM   #7
RiverDaughter
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm knitting a summer dress right now, oddly enough, that's pretty, light, and made from a cotton yarn.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/PATThush.html

The only problem I'm actually having with it right now is finding time to sit down and actually do it. It's a VERY easy pattern (the most complicated part is the lace on the bottom and top, and all you need to know for that is K2tog and yo), and it should be a good summer dress. Though, perhaps, with a different, less see-through top pattern (I'm just going to wear a slip under mine, I don't care if lace or straps show).

Hope that helped.

GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and increment the generation by 1. Consider it a social experiment.
RiverDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:40 AM   #8
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

Riverdaughter..that is soooo pretty. I have never used circular needles before but I think you may have inspired me! I imagine tho that it does take a while to make!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:35 AM   #9
ironmaiden
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by RiverDaughter
I'm knitting a summer dress right now, oddly enough, that's pretty, light, and made from a cotton yarn.

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/PATThush.html

The only problem I'm actually having with it right now is finding time to sit down and actually do it. It's a VERY easy pattern (the most complicated part is the lace on the bottom and top, and all you need to know for that is K2tog and yo), and it should be a good summer dress. Though, perhaps, with a different, less see-through top pattern (I'm just going to wear a slip under mine, I don't care if lace or straps show).

Hope that helped.
I was just going to post that! I was searching around last night and fell in love with it. I was thinking about trying it, but it seems a little ambitious since I just started lol.
ironmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote