Old 04-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
Rycharde
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to Rycharde
Using those darned circular things
Ok wheres the tutorial!

I bought them yesterday after finishing two sewn together panel hats for my son (pictures when the batteries for my camera charge)

I got it down that with the size I'm using and the wool I'm using 5 stitches = 1 inch and a baby's head is 14-15 1/2 inches from newborn to 3 months.

So I'm doing pretty well... Very well indeed!

I sew a lot. So crazy me, I've adapted. *throws away knitting patterns* *grabs calculator* *grabs sewing patterns*

I can make ANYTHING now with the few stitches I know and as I become comfortable with what I know I'm picking up new things.

I know how to switch between knitting and purling now. Stupid string... Well I got it.

And I know one cast on, how to add stitches, how to take them away to get the size and shape I want.

I'm currently somewhat satisfied with this.

However I am making my two year old daughter a sweater right now. I have the front and back panels covered because it's open front so I have two front panels that will be sewn to the back one. They look great.
The wool I'm using is awesome, I have no idea what it is but it's sparkley and fuzzy and looks like red multicolor pink fur when it's put together.
What I've done for the pattern is basically knitted the panels in the shape of the panels used in a children's clothing pattern and sewn them together.

The short vest (which will be a sweater shrug) has no sleeves right now. I need two seven inch around ten inch long tubes. And I have size 4 needles that do that whole circular connected together thing.
Now how the heck do I use them?

I figured out some tricks with the double ended size 4s I have. Wicked fun the way I brought up the back to the neck line and hit it with 3 needles from two sides. I'm convinced I can make anything now. But how do I use the circular needles!

Rycharde is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-13-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
tarrentella
Working the Gusset

instructions for circular needles from complete circular needle begginer:

1) one pointy end is the right needle, the other pointy end is the left needle.
for now completly ignore the cord conecting the two.

2) holding one pointy end only, cast on stitches as normal.

3) once your stitches are cast on, (or as your doing it) spread the stitches out along the cord and up the other needle so they cover pretty much from tip to tip.

4) the side with the working yarn on becomes the right needle, the other one is your left needle.

5) now to join the knitting: knit with the working yarn coming from the right needle as you would normally knit, joining in the tail yarn for a few stitches too. TADA!! knitting now joined and you are knitting in the round.

6) keep knitting ... round and round and round ... its usefull to put a marker of some sort onto the needles before the first stitch to know where you started.

7) oh and by the way if you do all knit stitches you get stockinette becaue your not turning your work. to get garter you have to alternate knitting and purling rows.

hope that helps.

I am Tarriknits on Ravelry

This is my not necassarily knitting related blog.
tarrentella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
ironmaiden
Knitting the Flap

I so needed this thread lol - I just picked up my first set of circulars a couple of hours ago and I am staring at them blankly...

ironmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
I doubt your size 4 circs are short enough for a 2-year-old's sleeve, though.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:55 PM   #5
Inis
1st Leg of the Journey

Well, first, put on some goggles ... JK.

I poked myself in the eye the first time I used circs. It just kind of flopped around and got me while I tried to detangle my yarn. Pretty funny stuff.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:49 PM   #6
samm
Turning the Heel

You do have to have needles, circulars, of a length for your project. For instance, a hat which is about eighteen inches around, wouldn't work on 26 inch circs because you'd be stretching the stitches and I doubt that they'd work. So for a small sleeve you will have to have a smallish circ. Hope this makes sense! They are great to use once you get used to them. I use them all the time, going back anc forth on them when I'm doing flat knitting. Have fun!!! samm
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:17 PM   #7
Mommy22alyns
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by samm
You do have to have needles, circulars, of a length for your project. For instance, a hat which is about eighteen inches around, wouldn't work on 26 inch circs because you'd be stretching the stitches and I doubt that they'd work. So for a small sleeve you will have to have a smallish circ. Hope this makes sense!
Okay, so what is the rule of thumb for circ size? If you have something that's 25", would you use 24" or 26" circs? What about when you just flat knit on circs - is size important then as well? That's one thing that confuses me.

Knitting for baby - those little things fly off the needles!
Mommy22alyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:20 PM   #8
Rycharde
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to Rycharde
Ohhhh OK!

Yeah I guess I need to buy some tiny ones for her sleeves. HOWEVER these ones will work GREAT for her sweater. *starts over* muahaha no this will be fun, now I can make a full way around spring sweater for her.

When she gets up from her nap I'm going to attack her and do some more measurements. I'm now addicted to my measuring tape, something I never had much use for before since I stopped sewing when I moved away from my mom who has the machine.

But if that means they will work for the body of her sweater that will be cool. I can visualize how this is going to work now. Yess I have it. Will show you all when it be done. Or if it be a tube of fuzz it will be a nice tube of fuzz and a learning experience.

I can't wait until all the stitches are cast on to the stupid things as they are brand new and coiled so tightly that they don't maneuver quite the way I want them too as of yet. With some heavier work on them however I think I'll be able to have a little more fun.

Rycharde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #9
redwitch
Working the Gusset

You can work small diameters on long circs either by Magic Loop or on two circulars.

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
Mariblue
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by redwitch
You can work small diameters on long circs either by Magic Loop or on two circulars.

Sarah
That's what I was going to say, too. If you google Magic Loop knitting, and knitting with two circular needles, you'll find some info on the topic. Amy also has a video on Magic Loop, I believe, here on Knitting Help.

I prefer Magic loop myself, less needles hanging around. It's really great for small diamater circular knitting!
Mariblue is offline   Reply With Quote