Old 04-14-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
craftyhands22
Casting On

Looser bind off?
I just used a k2p2 bind off for my sweater with a k2p2 ribbed bottom, and when I tried it on the bind off edge was pretty tight, and I paid close attention to make sure I was keeping the BO loose. Is there any other BO I can use that gives super stretchy results, or should I just go back and try to BO super super duper loosely?
craftyhands22 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-14-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
dakatzmeow
Turning the Heel

you could try using larger needles to BO.
dakatzmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
craftyhands22
Casting On

Oh, good idea, I should have thought of that, would you recommend about 2 sizes larger?
Old 04-14-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
KnitClickChick
Turning the Heel

I usually use the next size up needle to bind off. I am sort of a loose knitter anyhow, but if you are a tight knitter maybe 2 sizes would work better for you. I would do a test swatch, that way you won't have to frog if it isn't loose enough for you.

Wish List
Clapotis
Another felted bag
Mrs. Beetons Wristwarmers

On The Needles:
Silver's Palindrome Scarf - in Patons SWS Natural Pink
Feather and Fan Shawl - in Estelle Cadenza
KnitClickChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 07:42 AM   #5
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Google 'stretchy bind off' I think there's a page with links to lots of looser castoffs. EZ's sewn bind-off is good but I think not very attractive. Tubular cast-offs are great: stretchy and look good with ribbing. Or you could bind off in pattern. Honestly I go up at least 2mm if I want a looser cast-off but I am tight. You may find it easier and less distorting to use a crochet hook as your RH needle, then you don't stretch the stitch you lift up, pass over, and drop off.

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
craftyhands22
Casting On

Thanks guys! I think I'm gonna try going 2mm up first, and then maybe the crochet hook one if that doesnt help. the EZ one looks good, but its just confusing to me because i am a very visual person, and reading it doesnt always help. thanks!
Old 04-15-2007, 10:55 PM   #7
redwitch
Working the Gusset

The crochet hook idea doesn't make the cast off looser, just more even and less distorted (unless you use a lerger hook to knit with, then it does both).
This might be clearer for the EZ one, if you want to try it out - maybe on a swatch?
Hold the needle with stitches in your left hand like normal. Cut off the right length of wool from your ball and put it on a tapestry/wool needle.

Look at the first two stitches on your knitting needle (with the tail coming off that end going to the sewing needle). Put the sewing needle through those two loops, coming from the right hand end (the point of the knitting needle), through those 2 stitches: first the stitch on the end of the knitting needle, then the one after it.

Now go back in the other direction through the first stitch only (the one closest to the end of the needle). That's left to right. Drop that stitch off the knitting needle.

Repeat!
Sarah
Old 04-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
craftyhands22
Casting On

Aaaah, now I get the EZ sew bind off. I may just have to try that. It just stinks because I'm going to have to go back around the entire bottom of my sweater and carefully put the stitches back on my needle, then do another BO, so i want to make sure what i am doing is correct. Thank you so much for explaining that, too. Big help!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:32 PM   #9
redwitch
Working the Gusset

A standard cast-off with knitting and passing over is the easiest to recover/undo: just tink back. Sewn castoffs are much worse! If you find tinking difficult, you could try using a thinner needle to pick the stitches back up. If you then prefer, you can transfer them to a standard sized needle.

Sarah