Old 04-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to Kaydee
OT: Breast Cancer
In 33 days Iíll be walking 40 miles in Boston for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. Iíve been doing a lot of research about breast cancer and am amazed to find out how prevalent it is. I couldnít believe to learn that every 3 seconds a women in the United States is diagnosed with it! While I am not directly effected by the disease, there are many people throughout the world who are and do not necessarily have the resources to be treated. I was glad to find out that the money from the walk in each city goes directly to organizations in that particular city to help fight breast cancer. In Boston, Mass General, Bingham & Womenís, and (my work!) Boston Medical Center, get substantial donations from the Avon Foundation. I actually recently found out from my doctor that her practice here at BMC has a breast health center which last year got Ĺ a million dollars from the walk donations! Most of this goes towards helping make sure women who donít have insurance can get a mammogram in hopes of early diction. For the walk on May 19th I have committed to raise at least $1800 (but would like to possibly exceed that goal). Now, Iím not trying to solicit you all or anything but if any of you knitters are in some way effected by breast cancer and would like to help out by giving a donation you can visit my page to find out more about it, every little bit helps. Thanks everyone!
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-16-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
MommaG
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to MommaG
I just want to say Thank you on behalf of women everywhere for what you are doing. I lost my mom when I was 12 (almost 20 years ago now) to Breast Cancer and think that when people like you do things like this it is just wonderful to help raiase awerness and help find a cure. I myself try and do what I can locally to help(I live in Canada) This past October I cut off about a foot and a half of hair and donated it to Locks Of Love which makes wigs for kids with Cancer. Also this year I am going to participate in a mother daughter walk with my one year old.

Sorry so long winded but I just had to say Thank You for these women
Old 04-16-2007, 03:31 PM   #3
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

I'm more than glad to do it, its just a small thing that I can do. I would really like though to get more involved with causes that help cancer. I've always wanted to donate my hair to Locks of Love but I still need to grow my hair for that. A foot and a half, wow, that's a lot of hair....good for you!
Old 04-16-2007, 03:39 PM   #4
Sanibelle
Turning the Heel

Thanks for doing this Katie - it is a wonderful that you are taking your time to do this. I wish you the best of luck.

Lynn
Sanibelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:00 PM   #5
Paws4Knitting
Ribbing the Cuff

Good for You!!!!!
I don't think that is soliciting at all. We're proud of you, all women, and appreciate you taking the time and effort to acknowledge a very prevalent problem for all ages of women!!!!! Great Job and Good luck!!!!

"People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."
~Faith Resnick
Paws4Knitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #6
mrs.hre
1st Leg of the Journey

breast cancer
i also would like to thank you for doing the walk. i had breast cancer. they found it through a mamogram. i had radiation but no chemo. they caught it early. i tell all women please have your mamograms done, its very important. maggie
mrs.hre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:41 PM   #7
quiltbugj
1st Leg of the Journey

I am a breast cancer survivor. I was diagnosed two months after my fortieth birthday. I subsequently learned I have a genetic mutation that raised my risk to about 80%. Some of the indicators for the mutation are: of Ashkanazi Jewish decent (Eastern Europe), premenapausel diagnoses in several family members. Also increases the risk of ovarian cancer to 40%.

It is important to know that I inhereited this from my FATHER! I had always heard that it always came from the mother/sister, but that is not true.

The great thing is that there are many preventive stategies that are available.
quiltbugj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Kaydee
Working the Gusset

Thank you all for sharing your stories with me. I love hearing people's stories and how they are affected in any way (whether you have breast cancer, or a family member or friend does) because it helps to know that there are so many people out there that can be helped from this.

quiltbugj: I'm so surprised to hear that you inhereited the gene from your father! Its true that we usually think of getting it from the women in our families and overlook the men. Thank you for teaching me something new about the disease I've been very interested in learning as much as I can about it.

I also wanted to thank those who made donations, I truly appreciate your support and it makes me feel great to know that you're all behind me!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:07 AM   #9
cindycactus
Turning the Heel

I have been lurking here for awhile and love this site. I feel at home. My sister passed this past year. She had Breast Cancer in 1992 and fought for 11 years to keep it at bay. Then she developed Primary Peitianal Cancer (similar to Ovarian Cancer) which she fought for 4 years before it was just too much. I sure miss her. She was only 61 years old. She found through her research that many Breast Cancer survivors will develop Ovarian or PPC. I also have a friend who has survived Breast Cancer and Ovarian Cancer. Also everyone should know that men can develop Breast Cancer.

Thanks to everyone here for being so welcoming. Please everyone get those Mammograms.
cindycactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
cindycactus
Turning the Heel

I have been lurking here for awhile and love this site. I feel at home. My sister passed this past year. She had Breast Cancer in 1992 and fought for 11 years to keep it at bay. Then she developed Primary Peitianal Cancer (similar to Ovarian Cancer) which she fought for 4 years before it was just too much. I sure miss her. She was only 61 years old. She found through her research that many Breast Cancer survivors will develop Ovarian or PPC. I also have a friend who has survived Breast Cancer and Ovarian Cancer. Also everyone should know that men can develop Breast Cancer.

Thanks to everyone here for being so welcoming. Please everyone get those Mammograms.
cindycactus is offline   Reply With Quote