Old 04-16-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
knitknitter
Ribbing the Cuff

What Size Addis Should I Buy
I have found some addis for a pretty good price and I am wondering about what sizes I should buy. I can get six of them. I have a Denise set, but what annoys me about them is that I hate pulling the yarn over the connectors. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I already know that I am definitely going to buy the Addis, I am wondering if it is necessary for me to get the the 16 inch size, since I already have the Denises, or if I should just get the sizes that I think that I will knit the most -- which probably are going to be 5.5cm, 6.0 cm, etc.
knitknitter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-16-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

The 16" size really are not all that helpful for anything other than hats and even those can be tough on the Addi's.

I'd say the safest size to get is 32" ones...that way you can fit sweaters, baby blankets. They'd be long for scarves, but you could still do it. You might also consider some 10, 10.5 or 11 in size 24", those are very common for felted bags.

As for needle sizes it really depends on what you enjoy knitting the most. I would need 6, 7, 8, 9, & 10.5s.

Good luck! Addis are terrific!
sara_jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

It depends a lot on what you are going to use them for. I find 24" or 26" circs most helpful since, when I actually need to use them for circular knitting, I'm only using them for sweaters. Bigger than that and they are too big for the smaller parts of my torso.

Does the Denise set lack 16" circs? If so, then I guess 16" might be useful, so you can have a set of those. If it were me I would get the 24" (or are addis 26"?) in the sizes I use most often.

mwedzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:44 PM   #4
knitknitter
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by sara_jayne
The 16" size really are not all that helpful for anything other than hats and even those can be tough on the Addi's.

I'd say the safest size to get is 32" ones...that way you can fit sweaters, baby blankets. They'd be long for scarves, but you could still do it. You might also consider some 10, 10.5 or 11 in size 24", those are very common for felted bags.

As for needle sizes it really depends on what you enjoy knitting the most. I would need 6, 7, 8, 9, & 10.5s.

Thanks. I am wondering if I should just use double-pointed needles for sleeves? I wanted the size 16s for sleeves. Or can I use the smallest length of Denise's for sleeves?
Old 04-16-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by knitknitter

Thanks. I am wondering if I should just use double-pointed needles for sleeves? I wanted the size 16s for sleeves. Or can I use the smallest length of Denise's for sleeves?
I use double points generally for small diameter. Saves money, cuz you often end up having to switch to dpns later anyway. Besides, I think 16" would be kinda big for sleeves. The sleeve on the sweater I'm knitting now is only 11.5" at its widest point, and I'm doing it on dpns.

mwedzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

I agree with Nikki - you generally need DPNs any way to finish off the smaller diameter knitting so you might as well spend the money on the Addi's for something you'll knit more on instead of the 16" circs.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:52 PM   #7
knitknitter
Ribbing the Cuff

I agree with Nikki - you generally need DPNs any way to finish off the smaller diameter knitting so you might as well spend the money on the Addi's for something you'll knit more on instead of the 16" circs.
Thanks so much! This is really helpful.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
knitknitter
Ribbing the Cuff

Now most patterns for sweaters seem to call for 24 inch. Is this the size that I should get? I am worried that the 31 inch, would not be as useful. Irealize that some of you mentioned this earlier, and I apologize if I am asking again, I you have all really helped me to decide against the 16 inches, but I am now wondering about the best size to get that would work for a seamless sweater.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:57 PM   #9
sara_jayne
2nd Sock, I Rock

I've been thinking about this since you posted your question and the 24" really would be the best bet. I use that one most often in my Options set.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:37 PM   #10
knitknitter
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by mwedzi
Originally Posted by knitknitter

I use double points generally for small diameter. Saves money, cuz you often end up having to switch to dpns later anyway. Besides, I think 16" would be kinda big for sleeves. The sleeve on the sweater I'm knitting now is only 11.5" at its widest point, and I'm doing it on dpns.
Thanks for this tip. So you pick up and knit with doublepointed needles? Sounds difficult. How do you do that? I have tried doublepointed needles several times -- usually when trying to make a hat, and they have just been too unweildy.