View Poll Results: Which interchangeable needles do you like best?
Other - please specify in comments 2 1.68%
Denise 27 22.69%
Boye Needlemaster 12 10.08%
Bamboo 1 0.84%
Knitpicks Options 77 64.71%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,762 Times in 7,130 Posts
NEW! Interchangeable Needle Sets- Poll and comments!
Which interchangeable needles do you like best? Please comment on why you like them and if you have concerns. If you have more than one type maybe you could comment on that.

A few links..there are others though.
Knitpicks Options
Denise Interchangeables
Boye Needlemaster

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Last edited by Jan in CA : 02-17-2009 at 05:45 PM.

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-16-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,762 Times in 7,130 Posts
I have the Denise Set right now. I like them, but find that some yarns tend to stick to them. I bought a few Knitpicks needles to test and I love them so I'll be ordering the set soon.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-16-2007, 05:25 PM   #3
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Well, I own all of the above, so I'll chime in on all of them!

First of all, for those who don't know what an interchangeable-type set is, it's a set of needles in a wide range of sizes, with which one can do nearly all of one's knitting. The short "needle tips" attach to a cable (various lengths are included) to make a circular needle. Any type of knitting, including regular "flat" knitting (like a scarf), or circular knitting, can be done on these needles. The kits offer convenience and affordability over buying dozens of individual circular needles (the kind with permanently attached cables), and far more flexibility than using ordinary straight needles.

Knitpicks Options set

Pros
The slick needle surface is very smooth and luxurious. This is, for many, enough reason to buy this particular set. And I knit with this set when I can, for this reason.
The cables are quite flexible.
Affordably priced.
The manufacturer allows for the set to be purchased in pieces, so you can try it out by purchasing a single size of needles and cable. Very nice option for the low-commitment new knitter, no other set offers this.

Cons
The set does not contain a reasonably short cable length. The shortest length is a 24" (measured from needle tip to needle tip), which is fine for some things, but compared to the 17" length of the Denise kit, this is a major limitation of the set. (See update below, some people are modifying their cables!)
Poorly organized kit. Needles are not labeled with their size, nor are the sleeves. It's very easy to loose track of parts of this kit.

This is my preferred kit when I'm knitting something flat, or large enough to fit on 24" needles.

Denise Interchangeable set

Available in our knittinghelp Store.

Pros
17" length! Very practical for hats, baby clothes, and other circular items of such diameter. No other set has this short a length. I use this kit more than any other kit for this reason, and for the following reason.
Well-organized kit, makes it very easy to keep track of items and see if something in the kit is missing. This is a big deal for me, because I will grab my kit on the way out the door, and I like knowing if it has what I need in it.
Flexible cables. Even the 17" length is easy to maneuver, and literally easier on the wrists than most other sets are at their 20" lengths.
The most affordable set on the market.
Needle tips are warmer to the touch, and quiter sounding than metal tips.
Click-on needle tips are easier to attach and won't come unscrewed during knitting.
These easily pass through airport security, in my experience.

Cons
Resin/plastic materials are durable but less "luxurious" than other materials like bamboo, and even metal.
Resin needle tips are smoother than bamboo, but not as smooth as metal.

This kit is not luxurious, but rates #1 for practicality. When I need a 17" needle length, which seems like half the time, I use this kit. Also, if I'm going to start a project while out of the house, I grab this kit because I can tell if it contains the needle sizes I need.

Boye Needlemaster
Better organization than the Options set. I love the streamline case and the color-coded needles are pretty and easy to keep track of. Slick, metal needles (not as slick as Options, but second best). My only complaint about this set is the stiff cables. I won't use the 20" length, only the 24" or longer. Stiff means that the knitting flows along the cable smoothly, but it's harder on the wrist at that short length. The other main complaint about this set is that the needle tips come unscrewed, but that is easily remedied: discard their white rubber grip, and use a circle cut from a yellow dishwashing glove instead.

Webs Bamboo Set

Beatiful set with lovely bamboo needles. As with the Boye set, the stiff cable is my main complaint. I find the short 20" too stiff, but use the longer lengths.

Update--My own dream kit:
One day I'm going to do actually do this...
Shorten one of the Options cables to an 18" length, using heavy duty glue. I've heard some have done this. (Pull the cable out of the metal end, cut it, and glue it back in with 2-ton epoxy!)

I'll then take the needles and cables from the Knitpick's Options kit, and stuff them into my Boye Needlemaster case. This dream kit has it all: flexible cables, a short cable length, slick needles, and excellent organization in a streamline case. I can't imagine a more perfect kit, unless the Options needles were colored like the Boye set, so pretty.

Note about broken parts

All of the above manufacturers are good about replacing broken or poorly made parts. Broken cables, parts that don't screw in properly...these things are quite common in all sets, so don't judge the manufacturer on that...just contact them for replacement parts. They're all good at replacing parts.

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham

Last edited by amy : 07-30-2007 at 02:46 PM.
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to amy For This Useful Post:
...dotty... (10-22-2007), abodenrader (06-29-2007), Aliann (01-21-2008), AshleyP (01-07-2009), Cirrus (05-10-2008), color2queen (12-26-2007), Daylilydayzed (08-30-2008), DQ (10-27-2007), followingchrist (12-12-2007), gargoyle08 (04-07-2008), Janiegirl (01-01-2008), Jaxhil (06-22-2008), khyu777 (01-21-2009), knitttina (04-15-2008), LalaBee (03-14-2009), lelvsdgs (11-02-2007), Mailecat (04-18-2008), mommydearest (09-07-2007), photogirl72 (07-21-2007), princessbonniejane (08-22-2008), sarahbean (07-10-2008), The.Knitter (12-05-2007), tripletmomma (08-14-2008), UnspeakableJoy (06-29-2007)
Old 04-16-2007, 05:42 PM   #4
Nikki
Knitting the Flap

I voted for KP's Options. I bought and tried to use the Denise and hate the plastic things, sorry I bought them.

Nikki
Old 04-16-2007, 05:43 PM   #5
KathyinCali
Turning the Heel

I have the Options. I also have the Plymouth Bamboo Sister Interchangables. What I like about the Plymouth are; they are very compact-I bought them to travel with. They also have an 18" cable! While they are obviously not the same cables as Options or Addis, they still aren't bad to work with and softened right up when I put them in warm water. I rate them an 8.

Happy knitting!

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away".

OTN-
Blanket Sweater and Sweaters for My Li'l Lucy!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KathyinCali For This Useful Post:
lelvsdgs (11-02-2007), UnspeakableJoy (06-29-2007)
Old 04-16-2007, 06:00 PM   #6
Carla1019
Knitting the Flap

I didn't vote because:

I have the Denise, even tho they are good, I have already broken one, beause of the plastic.

My Mom found me a VERY old set of Boye, I love those. I need to buy me the new Boye set or the Option set. some of the Boye stuff is missing.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
newamy
Working the Gusset

I have the Options and really like them. I never tried any other set so cannot compare.

The draw backs I find to the Options are the same that Amy said. No short cable and difficult to organize the set. I know some people like all the little pockets and so forth but I had to put a lable on each one with the needle size. And I didn't really need/want all the varying pocket sizes.

On the plus side I think the price is right for the product. I did have one cable go bad and Knitpicks replaced it right away. In fact they sent two! The case fits nicely on my bookshelf with my knitting books. And when I knit with other needles I can really feel the difference. The Options are smooth and light weight and I think they make knitting faster and easier.

I'm newamy on
The Following User Says Thank You to newamy For This Useful Post:
UnspeakableJoy (06-29-2007)
Old 04-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
rorygilmore
Turning the Heel

Send a message via Yahoo to rorygilmore
I have the Options set and I love them. But I do wish the sizes were on the needles.
My Etsy(free shipping for KnittingHelp members, just put knittinghelp in the note to the seller!): http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5027635

Old 04-16-2007, 06:43 PM   #9
amy
Administrator
Site Admin

Originally Posted by KathyinCali
...Plymouth Bamboo Sister Interchangables... have an 18" cable!
No kidding! I didn't know that about the Plymouth set! I might have to check them out and see how flexible that cable is...if it's easy on the wrists it could be a contender for my top three.

It's funny how quickly this thread is growing. We're all so passionate about our needles!

‎"There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all of time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and it will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is nor how valuable nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open. You do not even have to believe in yourself or your work. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open."
Martha Graham
Old 04-16-2007, 07:04 PM   #10
marykz
Working the Gusset

I like my Denise- lightweight, flexible, no kinking cable issues. I like the organized case. I may buy options another day, but for now, I'm happy! I've had no issues with my set- and I even got them "pre-owned" (Thanks Silver!).

They aren't my only circular needles, I own some random regular types too- some metal, some plastic, one Addi Turbo..... so I don't have a need for more than one interchangeable set at the moment.

Closed Thread