View Poll Results: Which interchangeable needles do you like best?
Other - please specify in comments 2 1.68%
Denise 27 22.69%
Boye Needlemaster 12 10.08%
Bamboo 1 0.84%
Knitpicks Options 77 64.71%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 07:16 PM   #11
Eloewien
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Eloewien
I also love how pointy my options are. I love my few sets of short or tiny addis, but they're not pointy enough. It makes it so much easier to do lacework on the pointy tips!
For mom: Celtic Knotwork sweater
For me: Rogue, shawl of my own design
For friends: Foliage hat, dragonscale wristwarmers

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #12
Secksiebrat
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to Secksiebrat
I currently own the knitpicks options and the denises. I also owned the boye's and disliked them.

Knitpicks: I've done 2 projects with them and LOVE the flexible cables. I love the smooth metal needles and I really "fly" when I knit. I WISH there were smaller cables and a few smaller sizes, for knitting socks on 2 circulars for example. I wish the needles were labeled in a way b/c I have a hard time telling the sizes apart.

Denises: I have the colored set that was done by Amy. It's very easy to tell them a part and the joins are easy and I haven't had any problems with them coming apart when I knit. The cables are a bit thicker than the knitpicks options but they are nice as well.

Boyes: I DID like the fact they were each a different color so it was very easy to tell what sizes I had. I HATED the cables. They were SO thick and not flexible. They actually caused my wrists to hurt when knitting in the round ( I did about 5 booga bags with them).

So there's my beef. I Hope this helps others when they are shopping for interchangables

~danielle~

The Following User Says Thank You to Secksiebrat For This Useful Post:
UnspeakableJoy (06-29-2007)
Old 04-16-2007, 08:41 PM   #13
losnana
Working the Gusset

I love my Options, but agree with Amy about the way the kit is organized. I'd also love a 16" cable, and a 40" one. I found that the pockets that are divided into 2 or 3 sections aren't really large enough to open well. But I love the needle tips and the VERY flexible cables. I've never had any problem with the cables coming unscrewed.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:45 PM   #14
Paws4Knitting
Ribbing the Cuff

Are Options still great to have even though so many knitters are having to tighten them and worry about the joins coming lose?

Would you still buy them?

"People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."
~Faith Resnick
Old 04-16-2007, 10:21 PM   #15
Carol_OH
Turning the Heel

I love Denises; haven't tried the Options, but I didn't like Boyes because the needle itself wasn't long enough for me

I'm selwynne on ravelry
The Following User Says Thank You to Carol_OH For This Useful Post:
SusanMarie1956 (08-20-2007)
Old 04-16-2007, 11:00 PM   #16
jdee
Working the Gusset

I have a set of options, and I LOVE them! I love the flexable cable. The metal needles are so smooth to knit with, and I love the pointy tip. I used to wish there were a shorter cable with the set, but since I've learned the Magic Loop method of knitting in the round (thanks to Amy's videos), that's no longer a big concern for me. Like the rest of you, I wish the set were more organized. I ended up writing my needle sizes on the zipper pouches with sharpie. I know I'm not the only one who's done this, because reading someone else's post gave me the idea.

I also have a set of Denises, but I haven't had them very long. I ordered them from ebay, and just got them last week. I've only made one small project (a water bottle cozy), so I can't do a really comparison between them and my options. I can say, however, that I loved knitting with them. The cable is thicker, but very flexable. In fact, because it's thicker, I feel like it's sturdier, and less likely to break. I know that's just my imagination, because I've never broken one of my options. It's just one of those silly ideas I sometimes get in my head. The set is very well organized, and I like that about it.

But I have to say that I didn't vote, because I honestly can't pick a favorite. I like them both equally.

Jennifer

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
Old 04-17-2007, 01:00 AM   #17
dakatzmeow
Turning the Heel

i have the kp options set and i have solved 2 of the most common problems.

1. cables not short enough.
buy the longer ones (very cheap) and knit with magic loop. or use 2 circs to knit in the round. (it really is very easy, and i have not had ladders yet where i switch from needle to needle, or loop to loop.

2. needles get mixed up b/c the sizes are not stamped on the needles tips.

buy the 'view sizer' and you can measure your needle tips easily. it's very cheap, and it actually is very specific and measures the difference between a size 1 needle that is 2.25 vs. a size 1 needle that is 2.5 mm OR size 2 needle that is 2.75 mm and a size 2 that is 3.00 mm. they also have a slot to measure the diff between sizes 10, 10-1/2 and 10-3/4. for 1.99, i don't think it can be beat. to top that off, the area where you count stitches in the 4 inch ruler area has a magnifier to help count the stitches.

i love love love my kp options!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:08 AM   #18
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
Well, I use Boye Needlemasters, but I use them less and less. The threading of the inside of the needles gets worn out so easily and I find that while knitting, (this isn't ALWAYS the case) the needles untwist and sometimes my work slides off the cable without my knowledge. So I have to keep twisting the cables to get them to be stable.

However, I can take the individual needles to hobby lobby for an exact exchange with no questions asked.

One of these days I might get another interchangeable set, but I am liking separates for now.

http://www.amsfineart.com

Old 04-17-2007, 07:59 AM   #19
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I'm so glad you posted this poll. I waded through the 59 ages of the other post and think I was even more confused. This makes it a bit clearer (ya think!!) that the Options may be worth holding out for.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:15 AM   #20
sig
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via MSN to sig
i have the denises set and love it! Wish the options set was shipped intenationally. You all talk so much about your great needles!!! yes, im jealous. By the way, i had to order the denises set online because i cant find them in spain!!
Closed Thread