View Poll Results: Which interchangeable needles do you like best?
Other - please specify in comments 2 1.68%
Denise 27 22.69%
Boye Needlemaster 12 10.08%
Bamboo 1 0.84%
Knitpicks Options 77 64.71%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #31
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
I am a little curious about the people having problems with their Denise Needles coming apart. Now, I understand that if they are trying to "improve" them then they obviously felt there was a need. However, I had THREE sets of them, including one of the sets that has been posted about, and never had one come undone. Are the people who are having trouble with them making sure that they are twisting them when they join until they click? The only time I ever heard someone say that they were coming apart was when they realized later that they weren't twisting them until they heard the little click (or at least felt it.)

If that isn't the problem then definitely contact Denise. They are warranted!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-17-2007, 04:25 PM   #32
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by brendajos
I am a little curious about the people having problems with their Denise Needles coming apart. Now, I understand that if they are trying to "improve" them then they obviously felt there was a need. However, I had THREE sets of them, including one of the sets that has been posted about, and never had one come undone. Are the people who are having trouble with them making sure that they are twisting them when they join until they click? The only time I ever heard someone say that they were coming apart was when they realized later that they weren't twisting them until they heard the little click (or at least felt it.)

yeah mine only came apart on me one time and that was really cause I thought I had a clever idea.. was making my daughter a dress and wanted to see if it was long enough on her.. so thought I could attach all the cables together to get it on her without taking it off the needles ... it didn't work...

The join problems I was talking about was more of cotton didn't slide over the joined areas very well and I found finer yarns didn't.. but nothing like boyes...

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
Old 04-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #33
luv2knit
1st Leg of the Journey

Of course I checked to see if I was connecting them correctly. I even had someone else try them. They simply just do not snap together and stay in place. I did contact the company and they did replace one. However as I mentioned earlier they did tell me they were trying to improved them. I looked very closely at mine and you can see that my pink cord's connector are just a tiny bit wider where you snap them, than they are on the blue ones. It's very likely some just don't work as well as other and you got three really great sets. Unlike me another another person we just have ones that don't work quite as well. The company was more that happy to help me and answer all my questions. I have not yet contacted them regarding the rest of mine, but after having recent issues with a couple of cords I was planning on getting back in touch with them.

ETA: I just emailed the company and asked what to do, I will wait to hear from them. I do know it is not something I am not doing correctly, and I am pretty sure the company will give me some helpful advice or offer to replace them.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:37 PM   #34
madametj
Working the Gusset

The problem used to be the whole not-clicking thing, but i became very alert of that. what started happening later was that when the stitches were tight on the cable, i would kind of twist the needle back and forth to get the stitches on to it and well, thats when the needle would come off.

but sometimes it doesnt take anything at all, i've screwed them on right, gave em a good tug to make sure, and i'm happily knitting away and POP half my stitches are dropped. i guess its just because knitting in itself is a circular motion, and it just takes the slightest motion for the cables to come loose.

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
Old 04-17-2007, 06:37 PM   #35
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Yeah I almost didn't post that because I was afraid someone was going to be offended and think I was suggesting that they were daft... I really wasn't.... I promise!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:16 PM   #36
madametj
Working the Gusset

Yeah I almost didn't post that because I was afraid someone was going to be offended and think I was suggesting that they were daft... I really wasn't.... I promise!
Oh, I know you didn't mean anything by it, and be sure that I didn't mean anything by it either!

p.s. what is daft?

ETA: ah, I see.

daft /dæft, dɑft/
–adjective, -er, -est. 1. senseless, stupid, or foolish.
2. insane; crazy.

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
Old 04-19-2007, 10:32 AM   #37
Miss Moosey
1st Leg of the Journey

daft (adj)
1. senseless, stupid, or foolish.

I am now considering getting an interchangable set, and after reading all your comments I'm still not sure whether to go the Denise route or the Options route. They both look like they have their advantages and disadvantages and I'm not sure which one adds up to the better set! Ack!

The good news is that I won't get the set until my birthday (August), so I'll have much more time to do this until then.

Rebecca
Old 04-19-2007, 12:18 PM   #38
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Quote:
I am now considering getting an interchangable set, and after reading all your comments I'm still not sure whether to go the Denise route or the Options route. They both look like they have their advantages and disadvantages and I'm not sure which one adds up to the better set!
You are correct. They both have advantages and disadvantages. A question to ask yourself is whether you like metal or resin (which feels sorta like plastic).

Re: the unscrewing and loosening of needles. I've never had that happen with the Denise or KP I own.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 04-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #39
Paws4Knitting
Ribbing the Cuff

I think I might get both!!! Ha!!!

That way- if one makes me mad- I have the other!!!!

Great reasoning, huh?

I just received my KP Options last night, I am going to give them a thorough look over and if I feel they will bother me in some way- too much so- I will just send them back.

I think (realistically) I would still like the Denises for the shorter cable. And the fact that they are good on airlines, a plus anymore.

"People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life."
~Faith Resnick
Old 04-19-2007, 04:29 PM   #40
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,135 Times in 706 Posts
I got me Option needle today and everything checks out fine Maybe it's when you buy the whole set that people have problems Haven't used it yet but when I do I'll let you know if I like it .I got size 10 1/2 needle.

Closed Thread