Old 04-17-2007, 12:37 AM   #1
scubasinger
Ribbing the Cuff

Circular knitting = reverse stockinette?
I'm a new knitter and a bit confused.

I'm playing with doublepoints and knitting a tube just to get some experience.

I read that when knitting in the round, using all knit stitches (no purling) gives stockinette stitch. Yet I'm knitting and getting reverse stockinette. On the outside of my tube are all of the 'purl bumps' while the smooth stockinette side is on the inside of the tube.

When I knit, the needles are at the top and the tube of fabric flows down below the needles. The 'feeder yarn' is on the outside of the tube. I knit into the stitch from the inside of the tube toward the outside, pick up the yarn on the outside of the tube, and pull it toward the inside of the tube.

To see the smooth stockinette side, I need to turn the tube inside out. I'm really confused by this.

Vic
scubasinger is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-17-2007, 12:50 AM   #2
five_six
Turning the Heel

This thread may be of some help to you

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,908 Posts
A lot of people knit that way, then just turn the item inside out when they're done.

I prefer to keep the right side on the outside, so I always knit on the bottom of the circle, instead of knitting on the top of the circle like you're doing.
Shandeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:38 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by Shandeh
A lot of people knit that way, then just turn the item inside out when they're done.

I prefer to keep the right side on the outside, so I always knit on the bottom of the circle, instead of knitting on the top of the circle like you're doing.
By `top of circle' you mean the needle tips at the top? That keeps the stockinette side on the outside, not the inside.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:08 PM   #5
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

I knit with my needle tips at the bottom of the circle, so my stockinette is always on the outside.

I just made a little drawing to show where my needles go when I'm knitting in the round. The red lines are my needle points. The green part is the outside of the fabric, which is stockinette. The yellow part is the inside of the fabric, which is reverse stockinette.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	knit_at_bottom_of_circle.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	38752  
Old 04-17-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
scubasinger
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks, all. That was EXACTLY what I was doing wrong. Amazing how you can stare at something and can't visualize the solution, then when it's pointed out you go "DUH!"

Sandy, great drawing and explanation. I like the 'bottom of the circle' image. Made total sense.

I've done two things on circular needles and, looking back, even then I was knitting at the 'top of the circle'. But in one case it was a flat project, so even though my needles were away from me and my completed work was against my chest it didn't matter. In the other project I was doing seed stitch, so front...back....no problem.

Thank God I caught this and y'all explained it to me before my motor skills got too ingrained.

A couple of observations: Looking at my knitting 'how to' books, they are NOT clear about this whole point. Some of the illustrations seem to indeed show knitting 'at the top of the circle' vs. at the bottom. Others are totally ambiguous and could be construed either way.

But it leads to a question (or a related series of questions): are patterns all written assuming the 'right' side is out? Sandy said some people just turn the project inside-out when finished, but would that always work for every pattern?

And thanks for taking the time out to help this newcomer. I'm enjoying this new-found hobby but there is a LOT to learn!!! (In other words, it probably won't be the last time you hear from me!! (grin!))

Vic
scubasinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #7
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Originally Posted by scubasinger
Sandy, great drawing and explanation. I like the 'bottom of the circle' image. Made total sense.

But it leads to a question (or a related series of questions): are patterns all written assuming the 'right' side is out? Sandy said some people just turn the project inside-out when finished, but would that always work for every pattern?
Thanks Vic!

About your other question. It WILL affect the outcome of some patterns. Because you might need to turn it right side out before continuing the design sometimes. Like, with socks - before you start working on the heel.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

nice job shandeh!

I had *such * a hard time knitting in the round when I first started. I remembered what to do by knitting at "6:00" and not "noon".
Old 04-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
Shandeh
Sock Yarn Bliss

Thanks Hildie!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
brownishcoat
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via MSN to brownishcoat Send a message via Yahoo to brownishcoat Send a message via Skype™ to brownishcoat
I knew there would be a picture illustrating that!

->"You say tomato, I say pimp." --Michael Westen, Burn Notice<-
brownishcoat is offline   Reply With Quote