Old 04-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #1
agnes7894
Casting On

i'm soo very impatient
so i learned how to knit @ a michael's store and have done scarves and baby blankets. i am a wannabe knitter and i'm scared to take on more ambitious projects. it doesn't help that i wanna convert to continental knitting so i guess i gotta practice on dishclothes all over again..

any tips/encouragement? i now hate throwing!
agnes7894 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-18-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
habbyworld
Casting On

Starting simple
Start of with a scarf. I think that`s what most people tend to begin with, just to get you into the swing of it.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #3
Quiara
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Quiara Send a message via Yahoo to Quiara
To be honest, the way I picked up Continental knitting most easily was in knitting a hat - no worries about turning the work, just stick to the DPNs or circs. I personally use 2 circs to knit a hat and ML for most sock pattens. I learned to crochet first, so that might be why I prefer Continental knitting. Best of luck to you, though; let us know how it comes.

Find me on as Quiara. ^_^
Quiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
I think that patience is the biggest key. Each time I pick a new pattern, I make sure that there's a new stitch or concept in that pattern.

BTW, I'm an English-style knitter. I don't throw my yarn, though. I keep it wrapped around my pinkie and over my pointer finger (much like you do in Continental). I just keep my finger crooked and wrap the yarn without letting go of the needles.

Hang in there. It does get easier. You just have to push yourself a bit to try what might, at first glance, appear hard. There are lots of very knowledgeable people here who can help you get through new projects.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Chel
Turning the Heel

Re: i'm soo very impatient
[quote="agnes7894"]. i am a wannabe knitter and i'm scared to take on more ambitious projects. [quote]

You already are a knitter, you just need to be more confident. Realistically, whats the worst that can happen? You migth have to frog a few times and start over. No big deal. As long as you enjoy the act of knitting and find peace in it, then you realize it is the journey, not the destination. Sure its nice to have a sweater or pair of socks at the end of the road, but if getting there brings you peace, then the journey alone was worth it!!!

OTN: Jaywalkers (hibernating), Webs Scarf
KnitInNature
Chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:39 PM   #6
Mazie
1st Leg of the Journey

I have an idea... Look for a pattern for a sweater with a 'boat neck' and drop shoulders, so that you are basicly knitting squares. very simple and when you finish you have some thing wearable. or maybe a pull-over vest. good luck.
Mazie is offline   Reply With Quote