Old 04-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
kdavies
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to kdavies Send a message via Yahoo to kdavies
Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced Knitting...what is what?
I just finished teaching my first beginner knitting class and several of the students are already interested in an intermediate class.

So...what do you consider intermediate? What do you consider advanced? Personally, I would consider lace and cables intermediate and intarsia and entrelac to be advanced, but that's just because I've had more trouble with the last two...lol.

Our beginner class got up to some shaping, so we did several types of increases and decreases, but thats as far as any of the felt they could go. The intermediate class would be in the fall, so they have the summer to practice (and I have the summer to teach another beginner class and get more people ready for intermediate! )
kdavies is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-18-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

Ask ten knitters what their definitions of beginner, intermediate, and advanced are, and you'll get ten answers!

The thing is, a lot of the "hard" parts of knitting (e.g. cables, knitting in the round) are NOT that hard! I've never heard of anyone who couldn't figure out cabling. And knitting in the round is just like knitting with straights, but you just have some needles holding stitches in the back.

For an intermediate class, I would suggest socks, mittens, cables, simple lace, and maybe some Fair Isle colorwork. I would consider intricate lace, intarsia, and entrelac more advanced.

Did you see the entrelac primer in the newest (Spring 07) Interweave Knits? It's very well-written and easy to use.

psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
jjminarcik
Turning the Heel

I agree, I think the answers will vary! I consider myself an advanced beginner/early intermediate, but I have knit socks, entrelac, and a little fair isle. I think it depends on how much you are willing to try. I have no desire to make sweaters, but I still want to know how to do all the techniques!

OTN: Socks, socks, socks
My first sweater

jjminarcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #4
kristinw
Turning the Heel

If you look here, you can see what the "standard" is for each level. I think it is very subjective though.

My knitting blog: The Knit of It

I'm kristin on
kristinw is offline   Reply With Quote