Old 04-18-2007, 10:45 PM   #1
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
rib for self-striping socks
hey sock knitters!

i have some lovely self striping yarn, want to do SOME kind of pattern, but obviously nothing too intricate to get lost in the stripes. SKS has a couple chevron patterns, but I'm not in love with them. any ideas?

thanks!

Share Your Life With a Deaf Dog!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
boyforpele13 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-18-2007, 10:47 PM   #2
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

I've used a 2X2 rib with a mock cable every 4th row. That makes a nice fitted sock that doesn't bore you to death.

psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:48 PM   #3
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to boyforpele13 Send a message via MSN to boyforpele13 Send a message via Yahoo to boyforpele13
like the K2, P2 for 3 rows, then a K2tog without dropping the sts off and K the 1st stitch again kinda thing?

thanks!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. - Marianne Williamson
Old 04-18-2007, 11:08 PM   #4
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by boyforpele13
like the K2, P2 for 3 rows, then a K2tog without dropping the sts off and K the 1st stitch again kinda thing?

thanks!
Precisely! I keep that pattern down over the instep, then switch to stockinette to shape the toe.

psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:08 PM   #5
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Oh gosh...I did the chevron and just LOVED the way the socks came out! I have gotten more compliments on these socks too!

You could always do a simple SS stitch...would definitely allow the striping to strut its stuff.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:11 PM   #6
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

you might have talked me back into it. i started the ridged feather from SKS book and i like the way it looked, but dropped a stitch somewhere and couldn't find it and got mad and ripped. this yarn is cursed, i swear! maybe i'll give it another shot though.

that will lead me to a post in the how-to section, though, on how to make YOs look at least somewhat even, haven't figured that one out yet.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:17 PM   #7
want2knit
Knitting the Flap

Sean, have you seen this or this?

They both maintain the stripes, with a little edginess!
Completed since June '06: The Amanda Hat, Urchin hat, Seaman's cap, Socks - Monkey (one done),Socks - Pretty Petals,Socks - modified version of Int'l Rib of Doom,Keyhole scarf,Socks for Sockintine Swap,Tychus - miserable failure,My So Called Scarf,Fetching,one sock from Silver's tutorial
I am want2knit on RAVELRY
want2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:18 PM   #8
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Originally Posted by boyforpele13
you might have talked me back into it. i started the ridged feather from SKS book and i like the way it looked, but dropped a stitch somewhere and couldn't find it and got mad and ripped. this yarn is cursed, i swear! maybe i'll give it another shot though.
Oh, I do like the ridged feather too! I think those are very nice patterns to use with self-striping yarn.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:21 PM   #9
boyforpele13
Turning the Heel

you know, i might just try broadripple... i did look at it, but hadn't considered it because i was too lazy to modify for size and yarn, but all i need to do is add 14 stitches and i'd be good to go. thanks!

Old 04-19-2007, 08:01 AM   #10
Emeraldcutie
Knitting the Flap

Broad ripple has two different patterns.
Are you using something with a comparable gauge to Lorna's Laces ?

If you go to the pattern for it on knitty and email Rob at the bottom, he will send you the modified one.

I made them and thought they were wonderful.
Emeraldcutie is offline   Reply With Quote