Old 04-19-2007, 11:40 AM   #1
voyageofbeagle
Casting On

Block a poncho- blended yarn?
Hi all-

I am making a poncho and the yarn Iím using is 60% mohair and 40% acrylic. The pattern is basically a garter drop stitch. I was planning on blocking it after I was finished (my first attempt at blocking), but after reading some of the topics here, Iím not sure I should attempt it, given that itís 40% acrylic.

Can I still block it? Iíd really like to, since itís a gift and Iíd like it to look as ďfinishedĒ as possible. If I can block it, what method should I use? Wet or steam?

Thanks in advance!
voyageofbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
With 60% mohair I would think it will still have some give to it. I don't see any reason not to block it. I think you could use either method although I personally prefer the wet block.
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:27 PM   #3
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Even on 100% acrylic that doesn't block, a wash and block will even out the stitches and make the knitting look better. In this case, it may not block as extensively as something that's 100% natural fibre, but 60% is significant. I would definitely wet-block, I don't recall anything about mohair being a particularly fragile fibre...
Actually, be careful about steam on acrylic, some people like the effect and say it softens and relaxes the fabric, but others describe this as killing the item, making it go limp, and hate the effect. If you want to try this, I suggest knitting up a little square in the same pattern, same size needles, and steam that. This way, if you hate the effect, you haven't ruined a huge poncho. Even with only 40% acrylic, it might go limp, and this effect is irreversible.

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote