Old 04-20-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
cheesiesmom
Turning the Heel

toe up vs cuff down socks
I've been knitting socks top down for a while and lovin' it. So, I figured I'd love knitting toe up. Well, I googled some instructions, figured out what a provisional cast on was, did a short row toe and heel (pretty well, I might add; no big gaping holes), and am working my way up the k3p3 ribbed leg. I'm using 2 circs (Options). Technically it really looks quite good, no holes or ladders, but for some reason, I just don't like knitting socks this way. I sorta miss my dpns, but I think I miss the heel flap and turn.

Am I weird or what? Isn't a sock, a sock, a sock? I simply have no great interest in finishing these socks. I thought this would be good to learn cuz I wouldn't have so much left over yarn. But I am finding no joy in knitting this thing. It may be my first pair to fall victim to SSS (second sock syndrome).

I did like doing the provisional cast on. That was kinda cool.

Anybody else ever find themselves in such a silly predictament??

cheesiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-20-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

Check out Silver's 2 toe-up ML tutorial. I haven't tried it yet but many people swear by it.

Nadja xxx

Claire

My Yarn Stash is a Treasure Chest

nadja la claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Why don't you do the next sock using your DPNs?? You can still do it toe up. I'm making my first toe up pair that way right now, using DPNs. You can do the heel any way you want even with toe up. Don't let your sock be a lonely entity!

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
SandraEllen
Working the Gusset

you could also try widdershins. I haven't tried it, but it's a toe up sock with a heel flap and gusset.

Finished '07:
scrunchable scarf,kitty pi, ribbed hat for a newborn, garter stitch rib socks, grandma's favorite washcloths (3), monkey socks, FT clogs, Saturday Market Bag, Pomatomus
SandraEllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
kemp
Grafting the Toe

Send a message via ICQ to kemp Send a message via AIM to kemp Send a message via Yahoo to kemp
Toe up is my favorite. As far as SSS, the magic loop for two socks at once really solves that. it does seem like they take forever though since you're doing both at once. You can also do both at once on two sets of DPNs if you prefer those to magic loop.

As for missing the the heel flap...interesting. Maybe you were just meant to do top downs!
kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:27 AM   #6
redwitch
Working the Gusset

It sounds like it's the way you're doing them that you dislike, rather than the fact that they're toe-up: you prefer socks knit with DPNs and flap heels, so no wonder you dislike these toe-up sicks knit on circs with a short-row heel.
Remember - no grafting, and toe-ups don't need a pattern, just stop increasing when they're wide enough, and knit away!
The main advantage of toe-ups for me is that I know I'll have enough wool and can make the socks exactly as long as the wool allows with none left over... but for those who like having spare bits for darning or will use them in other patterns, less of a plus
Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 03:25 AM   #7
humblestumble
Working the Gusset

Send a message via AIM to humblestumble Send a message via Yahoo to humblestumble
I was in that situation once, but only mine is the reverse. I do not like knitting socks cuff down. Toe up is the way for me! I learned that way, and that's how I'll keep doin it (aside from unusually structured socks). I can't stand knitting socks cuff down. I use DPNs though. I have yet to try 2 circs.

http://www.amsfineart.com

humblestumble is offline   Reply With Quote