Old 06-18-2007, 10:41 PM   #1
madametj
Working the Gusset

Dr. Phil: House of Hatred
Did anyone see the show?

description:

"Dr. Phil conducts a groundbreaking social experiment. Six individuals from different walks of life, with different judgments and prejudices live under the same roof in an attempt to break down the walls of hatred and intolerance. Gary, 26, is a white supremacist who hates all people of other races. B., 58, is an African-American woman who thinks all white people are "ignorant sociopaths." Staci, 22, is a thin woman who thinks obese people are "disgusting blobs" and not people at all. John, 24, is over 600 pounds and hates skinny people. Christina, 22, believes all homosexuals are sinners. Tessa, 19, is a lesbian who hates straight people. Dr. Phil puts them to the test with assignments that force them to work together with their adversary. It doesn’t take long for hostility to break out, sending Dr. Phil over to the house, saying, “This has got to stop.” Will these guests learn acceptance, or turn on each other? "

Bust some Stash!
madametj on Ravelry (quick, go add me as your friend and I'll add you! )
madametj is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-18-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
Silver
Instepping Out

It's a re-run. I saw it the first time it was on. Pretty interesting to see them progress in the house. I can't comment cause I don't want to spoil anything for ya.

Silver's Sock Classes
Shop: On The Town Knitting Bags, hand made elegant small project bags.
My Blog, Write | KBelle on Ravelry | ComeToSilver on Plurk | Puppies, Jinx & Hex Photos & Videos
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:50 PM   #3
madametj
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Silver View Post
It's a re-run. I saw it the first time it was on. Pretty interesting to see them progress in the house. I can't comment cause I don't want to spoil anything for ya.
oh, i saw it, i just wanted to hear your opinion.

Bust some Stash!
Old 06-18-2007, 10:51 PM   #4
bah
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to bah
I watched it for the first time, and honestly...all I could do was chuckle. An interesting social experiment, but least we forget the main purpose of TV is entertianment.
bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:06 PM   #5
iza
Turning the Heel

I didn't see the show but I saw it advertised. It's looked so... staged, so obviously made to be "entertaining"... I don't know, I guess I don't like it when tv shows take a serious subject and turn it into a circus.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:46 PM   #6
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
It sounds a little like Survivor or Big Brother. Yes, those shows are for entertainment, but they are also social experiments. As a social science major, I really find these interesting. Once people get comfortable with the cameras, they let down their guards. Very interesting...(although I didn't watch this particular show).

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:08 AM   #7
iza
Turning the Heel

For sure, these social experiments are really interesting. I heard about a teacher who designed one based on eye colour. The experiment was done in a school in Montreal with fairly young kids and it was shown on tv. The class was segretated based on the colour of the eyes. There was a good colour and a bad colour. It's remarkable to see the effect on the kids. Some kids in the "bad eye colour" group break down in a matter of minutes. Some other kids in the good eye colour group are fighting the teacher, saying it's not fair, that they like the kids with the bad eye colour and that we shouldn't do it to them.

Anyways, I guess I'll have to see the show of Dr. Phil! Hey if you guys think I HAVE TO watch tv and knit, I'll do it. :rofling:
Old 06-19-2007, 11:03 AM   #8
marykz
Working the Gusset

I saw the original run- I thought it was interesting, but very calculated and staged, and I don't think anyone really changed their views of anyone else.
(I love Dr Phil- there!- my secret is out!!! LOL!)

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #9
rebecca
Grafting the Toe

I've not seen it. I will here and now admit that I am seriously addicted to Big Brother! Have seen it every season and am anxiously waiting for it to begin this summer! And, for some unknown reason I've also become addicted to the Chef shows! Ya gotta say...What's up with Becka?! Seriously..I watch Top Chef, Food Networks Next Star and Hell's Kitchen....I think I have a problem! So I admitted it to all of you, LOL!!! FYI...I don't cook, either, LOL!

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Whimsical Knitting
Whimsical Knitting Designs

I'm Becka on Ravelry!

rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
madametj
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by iza View Post
For sure, these social experiments are really interesting. I heard about a teacher who designed one based on eye colour. The experiment was done in a school in Montreal with fairly young kids and it was shown on tv. The class was segretated based on the colour of the eyes. There was a good colour and a bad colour. It's remarkable to see the effect on the kids. Some kids in the "bad eye colour" group break down in a matter of minutes. Some other kids in the good eye colour group are fighting the teacher, saying it's not fair, that they like the kids with the bad eye colour and that we shouldn't do it to them.

Anyways, I guess I'll have to see the show of Dr. Phil! Hey if you guys think I HAVE TO watch tv and knit, I'll do it. :rofling:
yes watch it and tell us what you think about it! i comes on next monday at 8 pm eastern time (i live in central so for me its 7)

Bust some Stash!