Old 04-20-2007, 01:30 AM   #1
nsa1013
Casting On

Help with V-neck Collar
I'm a newbie and I'm now stuck at knitting the following vest:

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/peter/peter_easy.html

I'm stuck where it says "Rnd 1: K2, *p2, k2, rep from * to 2 sts before marker, work 2 tog, p2, sl marker, k2, sl marker, work 2 tog, p2, * k2, p2, rep from * to end - 154 sts."

Can someone elaborate what "work 2 tog, p2, sl marker, k2, sl marker, work 2 tog" means??? After that it says to "working in ribbing as established, continue to dec 1 st before 1st marker and after 2nd marker every rnd until band ...." Does that mean dec 1 stitch by knitting 2 stitches together and then continuing with the ribbing? wouldn't that alter the pattern?? please help, i've been unravelling my work the whole day. THanks!!
nsa1013 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
When you decrease in ribbing, you have to continue the ribbing as it's been established, not just start ribbing after the decrease.

Knit the v's and purl the bumps as they face you and you should stay on track.

So if you started with

kkppkkppkkpp and have decreased one at each end, your next row will look like this:

kppkkppkkp

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
nsa1013
Casting On

Thanks...that helps!

but i'm still stuck on the "work 2 tog, sl marker, k2, sl marker, work 2 tog, p2"

does the "work 2 together" mean a dec?? and if i just placed a different coloured yarn in between stitches as a marker, do i ignore the "sl marker"? sorry if these seem like stupid questions...but this is my first project other than a scarf.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Yes, work 2 tog is a decrease--you either knit two together or purl two together, depending on what side you're working on. Check out the Glossary page for k2tog for video.

You marker can be a piece of yarn, but I suggest tying it in a little loop. You slip it from one needle to another to keep your place.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 04-20-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
nsa1013
Casting On

thank you very much...i'm glad i found this forum....i thought i was gonna be stuck there forever...i don't know anyone who knows how to knit...i'm learning from scratch via websites
Old 04-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #6
Ingrid
Mod Squad

There's always help available here!

IngridKH on Ravelry
Old 04-20-2007, 11:41 PM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by nsa1013
thank you very much...i'm glad i found this forum....i thought i was gonna be stuck there forever...i don't know anyone who knows how to knit...i'm learning from scratch via websites
I taught myself to knit back in the Dark Ages before the internet (and before cable too, there were only 2 stations available) and had no one to ask. I just did what I thought seemed right and if it didn't come out right, ripped out and redid it. Guess that's why I don't mind redoing a whole piece several times until I'm satisfied it's right.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote