Old 04-21-2007, 03:54 PM   #1
cnit
Ribbing the Cuff

new afghan pattern problem
Hi everybody,
I'm back again!
I started a larger swatch of this pattern:

http://www.DailyKnitter.com/iris.html

and everything was going well until row 24 when the triangles started getting deformed. I have tried to follow the pattern carefully this time but was surprised when this problem showed up. Am I making a mistake or is this a pattern problem? Any suggestions? Thanks again for your help, Carol
cnit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #2
cnit
Ribbing the Cuff

I figured it out
Sorry to be a pesky beginner! I unwound about 6 rows and redid them. The pattern is fine. I guess I must have repeated a row and therefore messed up the pattern. As a beginner I realize I must focus and keep perfect track of my rows. I have really learned to trust the pattern (thanks Ingrid)! Regards, Carol
Old 04-22-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
Miss Moosey
1st Leg of the Journey

Maybe a row counter would be a good investment (mine cost $1.00). Not to mention they're loads of fun! Clicking the numbers back and forth is very satisfying.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
It's VERY easy to lose track of rows so finding a method that works for you is important.

Here's what I do:

If the pattern has something like cables, decreases, or increases that you have to do on specific rows I write out the numbers of rows and and make notes on them and then mark them off as I do them. Kind of like this:
3. decrease
6. decrease

If it's merely keeping track of rows I either right down numbers and mark off each one or I write a number each time I do a row. On some patterns keeping track makes no difference because the pattern is easy to see or the pattern tells you to measure in inches instead of rows.

I prefer the pencil and paper method to the row counter..I can get more info in.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
cnit
Ribbing the Cuff

What I do is print the pattern and I will keep my notes on the pattern itself. Thanks, Carol
Old 04-22-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
cnit
Ribbing the Cuff

I did not know that row counters even existed. What a great idea. I think it will eliminate many problems. Thanks, Carol
Old 04-23-2007, 02:33 AM   #7
letah75
Working the Gusset

My problem with row counters is I forget to click them. I have to keep track on paper. For some reason I don't forget to mark my rows on paper but I do with the row counter.

"Shared pain is lessened; shared joy, increased thus do we refute entropy." - Spider Robinson
letah75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:23 AM   #8
Susan P.
Working the Gusset

I've used row counters and also forgot to click them. If my pattern is a little complex I now use word processing and make up grids via a table so that let's say I have 12 rows in a pattern..the first column has those instructions in 12 rows going down and then I have columns across. So I tick off rows down on each set and then start on a new column. For some reason I never forget to do this and I can 'size up' text for the poor old eyes etc. I've never forgotten to tick off in this method.

letah..did you wonder why I asked about Bear McCreary in another thread? He composed the music to Battlestar Gallactica. A very talented young man.
Susan P. is offline   Reply With Quote