Old 04-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
BostonBecca
Turning the Heel

1st Sweater KAL
We have been talking about this in the Stashbusting thread and so I decided to start it.

I'll be doing tempting from Knitty with some modifications for the sleeve length to make it more wearable and might be doing another one at the same time.

You don't have to do Tempting, you can pick another sweater, but this is for us first timers and ArtLady1981 has generously offered to assist with her input and advice at times.

Hopefully, we can all help each other out as well.

KnittingDefender on Ravelry.

BostonBecca is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-24-2007, 04:44 PM   #2
SharonB13
Ribbing the Cuff

I just finished my first sweater a couple of weeks ago. Otherwise, I'd be right here with you.

Good luck! It was a challenge, but well worth it.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:16 PM   #3
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

I've never done a KAL, so I know this is a dumb question but.....How does one work? I would like to finish my sweater.

Nadja xxx

Claire

My Yarn Stash is a Treasure Chest

nadja la claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
nadja la claire
Working the Gusset

Never mind my last post. I should known to look for KAL guidelines

Nadja xxx

Claire

My Yarn Stash is a Treasure Chest

nadja la claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
BostonBecca
Turning the Heel

Nadja: I think this KAL is a little different than most, because we aren't doing the same project necessarily. I think it is more just to provide support for those of us that don't necessarily have a support group of knitters to guide us through this step up in projects.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:51 AM   #6
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,891 Times in 3,012 Posts
Hey there Stash Sisters!!!!

I measured my daughter this evening. (TEMPTING is for her) She came over for dinner, wine and conversation! Her hubby's turn to watch the girls...and she gets to go out and live a little. She shopped a while...and then stopped by to see momma!

I have cast on the 160 stitches for TEMPTING. I am using two strands of yarn: Rowan "Calmer" cotton blend, and Lara Endless Summer cotton.
Both yarns by themselves were too thin or skinny... but together using a US8 needle gave me the perfect gauge of 18st=4" in st. st. And it looks good, too. Not packed too tightly. Calmer is kinda suede-like with a little stretchiness to it...and Endless Summer is a fine polished combed cotton. They are both cream color...but, you can see them both because of the suede finish vs the polished finish. I think I like my yarn choice!
AND IT IS ALL FROM MY STASH!!!!

She just left for home, so I am going out there now to do a few rows. Will take a digital of any significant progress. It is going to be boring for a while...K2 P2 rib...around and around and around and around...in the round!

She wants me to leave the sleeve caps the length of the model.

BTW: I don't know if I need to say this or not, but I will...since this may be a first sweater for some: DO A GAUGE SWATCH with your yarn(s) of choice. For my swatch I personally cast on two extra stitches...so that my measurement is taken between the two "edge stitches". Edge stitches are the stitches at each end...and they ARE ALWAYS KNIT...right side and wrong side. So then, for our gauge swatch...cast on 20 stitches...knit 20 across row 1...but for row 2: k1...purl 18...k1. Repeat rows 1 & 2 til your swatch is 2 inches or so in length. "Row gauge" is not critical for this pattern. BUT...stitch gauge IS VITAL to get the correct "fit"...or your garment will be too tight, too small...or too big, too baggy. And, you may run out of yarn!

If anyone has any questions about the swatch thing...let me know!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
MFuentes (06-26-2007)
Old 04-26-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
BostonBecca
Turning the Heel

Wow, thank you so much for taking us through the first step: the guage swatch. I might make mine during break time from studying.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
Mulderknitter
Working the Gusset

I also appreciate the gauge swatch instructions. I'm not on to the sweater yet, but it will be very helpful when I am.
until then I will just be a lurker here until I have time to join in!
good luck to alll of you@
Oddball Pet Snuggles
I am Mulderknitter on Ravelry, add me to your friends!

My Blog
http://susanknitsandwrites.blogspot.com/
Add me to your faves and leave a comment, I love comments!
Mulderknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Think we should post a link for TEMPTING?

And a photo? Well, there they be!

My TEMPTING is at about 1.5". It is slow-going...two strands slow up the process. I lilke to untangle/un-kink every so often...don't like the feel of kinks and twists in my hands...it may all knit the same, with the same outcome...I just don't like to knit the twisted up yarn.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	temptingbeauty.jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	39073  

Artlady at Rav
Old 04-26-2007, 08:55 PM   #10
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

PS: to newbie knitters: do you know what the directions mean when it says: cast on 160 stitches, join (being careful not to twist the stitches), and work the k2p2 rib for 13"??

If anyone has any doubts about the words: "join, being careful not to twist the stitches"...let me know and we will talk about it.

There may be a video clip here at KH about circular knitting. Check that out, too. Starting that first row...the 'join'...is tricky for newbies.

Artlady at Rav