Old 04-25-2007, 11:25 AM   #1
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

Please tell me there's something I'm not understanding
Please tell me I'm understanding this wrong. Okay, in the continuing saga of the Fair Isle Sleeve Sweater from VK Holiday '06, I've run into another problem Amazing how I didn't realize this until I'm almost finished. So I've done the front, back, both sleeves, and am 1/2 way through the fair isle flap on the front. Here's the pic of what it's supposed to look like is down below

Now, the directions for doing the decreasing at the top of the front have you decrease all the way to the point where there is one stitch. So, size small starts with 84 sts:

Neck Shaping
Dec 1 st at left front neck edge (beg of RS rows, end of WS rows) every row (6 (4, 0) times, then [bind off 3 sts on next RS row, dec 1 st at end of next row] 18 (19, 21) times, then dec st every row 5 times. Fasten off last st.

So the decrease is even from one edge to the other, right? But when you look at the pic, doesn't it look like the decrease stop about 2/3 of the way over? I have such a hard time explaining what I mean, but looking at the picture, it looks like all the stitches on her right shoulder were bound off at once, like it's not an even decrease all the way to the edge, but the decreasing stops at about the right side of her neck, don't you think?
Attached Images:

mwedzi is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-25-2007, 12:22 PM   #2
BillSpace
1st Leg of the Journey

I see what you mean --it looks like there are more stitches than just one on her right shoulder.

Are there any directions that say "AT THE SAME TIME" for other shaping of the front?

I don't have the pattern in front of me, but maybe the armhole shaping accounts for the other stitches.

Hmm. Guess I don't have much to offer, except to read through the rest of the instuctions to see if some other action is called for.

Or -- this just occurs to me -- maybe those apparent front stitches on the right shoulder are actually part of the sleeve?
BillSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

Thanks, bill. No, there are no "at the same time" instructions. The part I wrote for the neck shaping is the entire portion under "neck shaping" for the front. Also the stitches over her shoulder/neck are not from the sleeve. The sleeve is a standard sleeve that is sewn on on just the side.

I think I'm going to have to rip the front back and decrease as I see fit to match the picture.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:39 PM   #4
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
I'm sorry, I can't help you at all... but I cringe at the idea of you frogging all of that! Maybe you could contact Vogue for some help, or something?

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

Thanks, Abbily, but I don't have to frog that much. Just the front part from the armhole. I bet I can do it faster than I could get a good response from VK. I'm going to finish this sweater today. Dang, and I meant to study some in the early afternoon. Now I'm going to have to do it at night. Or maybe, if there's not much work at my job, I can read there.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Is this for your pattern? I don't have the mag in front of me, so I can't be sure it is the same one, but it is from the same issue?

Pattern #21
Fair Isle Sleeved top, photo on page 85, instructions begin on page 127

FRONT

Work same as back until armhole measures 1.5(2, 2.5)"/ 4(5,6)cm, end with a WS rowó84(86, 90) sts.

Neck shaping

[Bind off 2 sts at beg RS row, dec 1 st at end of WS row] 21(21, 22) times, bind off 1(2, 1) sts at beg next RS row once AND AT SAME TIME, when same length as back to shoulder shaping, bind off from shoulder edge 5(5, 6) sts 4(3, 3) times, then 0(6, 5) sts once.
CarmenIbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by CarmenIbanez
Is this for your pattern? I don't have the mag in front of me, so I can't be sure it is the same one, but it is from the same issue?

Pattern #21
Fair Isle Sleeved top, photo on page 85, instructions begin on page 127

FRONT

Work same as back until armhole measures 1.5(2, 2.5)"/ 4(5,6)cm, end with a WS rowó84(86, 90) sts.

Neck shaping

[Bind off 2 sts at beg RS row, dec 1 st at end of WS row] 21(21, 22) times, bind off 1(2, 1) sts at beg next RS row once AND AT SAME TIME, when same length as back to shoulder shaping, bind off from shoulder edge 5(5, 6) sts 4(3, 3) times, then 0(6, 5) sts once.
Okay, this is the weirdest thing ever. I just don't understand. It is the same pattern, photo on same page, same title, instructions on same page, but the instruction itself is not the same. Your instructions make more sense, and in fact, even before I logged on, when I ripped back and redid it (just finished 10 minutes ago!), this is what I did. But the instructions I have, I am looking at them right now, they are right in front of me, but they are not what you have typed out. They are, word for word, what I typed out in the first post. What in the world is going on? since I can't find a Twilight Zone smiley, I'm just going to use these

ETA: Okay, Carmen, I see you got this from a page of errata. Forgot all about that! Now I get it. Well, people always told me VK is full of errors.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #8
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

You're pretty creative, so I figured you would have figured it out, but thought I'd post anyway.

One of my first knits was from VK, so their correction page is my bestest friend!
Old 04-25-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
mwedzi
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by CarmenIbanez
One of my first knits was from VK, so their correction page is my bestest friend!
and Yeah, I had heard before that VK was full of errors, but it just didn't even enter my head to check for an errata page. Now I know. That makes two big things I've learned from this sweater (well, more than two, actually). But why is it that things I'm learning are how to compensate for lack of quality in the stuff I buy? Makes me a little

Old 04-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #10
CarmenIbanez
Grafting the Toe

Which is why when I started created my own patterns, I paid (okay, bribe is a better word) people to test them out for me.