Old 04-28-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
cnit
Ribbing the Cuff

2 questions about throws/ afghans
Hi-My longer cables arrived in the mail and I am starting my throw/afghan. I decided to follow the instruction on the pattern for the iris afghan and knit it in one piece on circular needles (not in the round).
I have 2 questions. For future reference is there an advantage to knitting this as one piece as opposed to knitting in pieces apart from the weight factor. Is it visible where you stitch the pieces together?
Another question when knitting flat on circular needles the first stitch in the row has the thread on the left hand side and then the 2nd stitch is when the thread is on the right side. Is this correct?
It was really good to knit a swatch. As a beginner it was good for me to practice and learn.
Thanks and have a great weekend! Carol
cnit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-28-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
katiebug081504
1st Leg of the Journey

Is this the afghan you're talking about?

http://www.dailyknitter.com/iris.html

As for the second question, that is correct. For your first stitch the yarn will always be on the left hand side. You just knit it like normal, and then your yarn will be on the right hand needle all the way until your last stitch.
-----------------------
-On the Needles:
1. Simply Ginny Socks (1 complete)
2. Classic Wool Socks (1 complete)
3. Stag Bag (on the back...don't want to do the st st)
4. Five Easy Cables Blanket (1 of 8 skeins used)
-On the Hook:
1. Mantilla Lace Doily (I forgot where I am on this)
katiebug081504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:19 PM   #3
cnit
Ribbing the Cuff

thanks Katie
Dear Katie,
Yes this is the same Iris afghan. What level is this afghan?
Thanks for answering my 2nd question! I just want to make sure I doing things correctly! Regards, Carol
Old 04-28-2007, 03:26 PM   #4
cnit
Ribbing the Cuff

bind off question and dropped stitch question
Hi- When I did the swatch for the iris afghan the Basic Knit Bind-Off did not match my long tail casting on. Is there a better bind off that will match the long tail casting on. The border on this afghan is a garter stitch.

Yesterday I dropped a stitch in my garter border (it was hardly visible that is how tight I stitch) and I did a search in the forum. I followed Ingrid's advice -"You're right that you have to pick up one from the front and one from the back. " It took a couple of attempts but I was able to fix it. (there was hardly any room for picking up the stitch so I dropped the stitch next door to make room) This happened to me a while ago on a garter scarf and I ended up unraveling it. An afghan is a different story because I started with 148 stitches and I was on my 5th row. Was I right to drop the stitch next door?
Thanks a million
Carol
Old 04-28-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
cam90066
Working the Gusset

FYI...a crochet CO looks virtually identical to the standard chain BO. You might want to give it a try. (Edited: meant to say 'crochet'...not cable.)

cam
Old 04-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Originally Posted by cam90066
FYI...a cable CO looks virtually identical to the standard chain BO. You might want to give it a try.

cam
I haven't seen that it does. However, the purled caston (like the knitted one, only you purl and twist) does look very much like the regular BO.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
knitqueen
Grafting the Toe

Re: 2 questions about throws/ afghans
Originally Posted by cnit
For future reference is there an advantage to knitting this as one piece as opposed to knitting in pieces apart from the weight factor. Is it visible where you stitch the pieces together?
I am currently making an afghan in one piece on a long circular needle. It is not overly wide, only about 45" so certainly not large enough for a bed or anything like that. I am about 3' into the thing, and have used 6 out of the 11 balls of yarn that I plan to use, so in other words just over half way there. It is getting quite cumbersome to work with. Not so much heavy because I just rest the thing on my lap while I work, but turning it around after each row is a bit of a pain and I'm constantly having to push the stitches up towards the needle tip because the weight of the blanket tends to pull them down onto the cable of the circ.

Having said that, I think when I make my next afghan I will still lean towards making it in one piece because I am such a procrastinator when it comes to seaming things together that I have a feeling I'd end up with all these afghan pieces that would never get put together.

One thing I would do differently next time though, is to use a shorter circ believe it or not. I have 200sts casted on and am using a 60" circ. The advantage to that is that all the stitches fit with room left over to lay the blanket out flat to see how its progressing, but the disadvantage that I find is what I said earlier - the stitches tend to pull down onto the cord because there's so much extra room.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Oops...my bad.

Sue, meant to say 'crochet.' The gray matter went into brain freeze.

cam
Old 04-28-2007, 07:10 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Caught your correction later, cam. I'd wondered if I was putting them on the needle wrong.... though I may try it out another way to see if that makes a difference too.

The purled caston is very similar to how you'd do a crocheted CO, so there you go.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:11 PM   #10
cnit
Ribbing the Cuff

Yeah, Purl Cast On looks great!
Dear Cam, Knitqueen and Sue,
Thanks for all your help . I unraveled my 6 rows and started over again. After scouring the internet I gave up and looked at my Elizabeth Zimmerman DVD -A Knitting Glossary (that I bought from Amy) and looked up all the different Cast On techniques. The closest thing she has is a Knit 1 Purl 1 Casting On. I omitted the knit 1 part. Basically it is the mirror image of long tail cast on. If anyone wants me to break it down let me know. Some one else tried to explain it with pictures on their website but it was hard to see it in still photographs. Purl Cast on looks much better on a Garter stitch border. You see purl bumps right away as opposed to the first row of knit stitches with long tail cast on. It also seems more flexible than the Long Tail Cast On.
I feel better now about knitting this afghan as one piece. I am using the 47" Options circular needles.
Many Regards, Carol