Old 04-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #1
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Bernat Denimstyle - UPDATE - picture included
Has anybody used Bernat's Denimstyle yarn and washed their FO? I just finished a shawl with it, and it came out GREAT (it's SO SOFT!), but as I was visiting Joann's website, one of the comments for the yarn said that it washed terribly, and now I'm scared! Okay, maybe I should've swatched and washed it first, but I figured, "How could I go wrong with an acrylic and cotton blend yarn?"

UPDATE - PamJ, since you asked, I included a picture of the shawl. I will definitely make one in cream, and probably one of the blues, too. I could barely take this shawl off the last two days, it's just so soft!!!!!! And I couldn't really ask for a nicer draping fabric. I am very pleased with this yarn.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	feather_and_fan_shawl.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	39139  

I'm on flickr, too!
I love to knit shawls...after all, a girl can't have too many shawls!
cookworm is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-28-2007, 10:11 PM   #2
LeslieRR
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi,
I wash sweaters made out of this yarn all the time. I have never had a problem. They wash wonderfully - they come out nice and soft.
LeslieRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
PamJ
Knitting the Flap

I love that yarn. It is SO SOFT. I made a scarf out of the cream, and it is really lovely. I'm sorry I haven't washed it, but when I do, I'll wash it by hand with Woolite, wrap in a towel to get most of the water out, then lay out to dry. If your shawl is large, you could always roll it longways in a large towel and put it on low spin in your washer for a minute or less. That gets so much of the water out and makes it easier to dry flat. The LYS told me to hand wash and spin my knit baby blankets with that method. Sometimes I put them in the dryer for just a few minutes when they almost totally dry so they are fluffed.

What pattern and color did you use for your shawl? Do you have a picture? I'd love to see it.
PamJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
LeslieRR
1st Leg of the Journey

Hi,
I wash sweaters made out of this yarn all the time. I have never had a problem. They wash wonderfully - they come out nice and soft.
LeslieRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:17 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
When I washed my sweater the sleeves must have got caught on something - they stretched out another 6 inches. Took it out down to the top of the sleeves (it's a bottom up raglan) and shortened them. Will watch it closer next time, especially since we have our own now, not a coin op.

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:55 AM   #6
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by PamJ
What pattern and color did you use for your shawl? Do you have a picture? I'd love to see it.
I did the feather and fan stitch, and I made it in the white. I also really liked the cream and considered making it in the cream; I may knit one in the cream still. I'll try to post a pic soon. I have a couple of really cool vintage pins that were my great-grandmother's that compliment the style of the shawl really nicely, which works out great, since I didn't really have anything quite right to wear them with (but now I do! ). The shawl knit up a bit wider than I thought it would when I did a gauge swatch which actually worked out great, because I really like the way it hangs now when I wear it (an accident that actually worked out to my advantage! )

I'm glad (relieved!) to hear that this yarn isn't typically a problem, but nevertheless, I will be careful when washing it. Typically, I don't need to wash my shawls very often, but with this one being white--and given the fact that I'm a bit accident prone --it will require more washing than my other shawls I'm sure.

I'm on flickr, too!
Old 04-29-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
PamJ
Knitting the Flap

Your shawl sounds so lovely! I can't wait to see a picture. Maybe you can include one of your great grandmother's pins in the picture too--what a treasure. I think my scarf is white too--I didn't know there was both white and a cream! I do love the softness of this yarn. It feels wonderful. It's good to hear people have had such great results washing it. I guess I'm overly cautious with my handwashing. All the baby blankets I make end up being washed and dried constantly by the moms, and they do just fine and last for years.
Old 04-29-2007, 11:28 PM   #8
cookworm
Working the Gusset

I edited the post to include a picture. :D

I'm on flickr, too!
Old 04-30-2007, 07:33 AM   #9
PamJ
Knitting the Flap

That is so beautiful! I love the pattern and how it drapes. Thank you so much for including a picture. I live in my shawl all winter--the next one I make will be from this yarn! Last year I made a basketweave blanket with the pale blue Denim for the grandkids to use when napping here. The first one who visited took it home with her!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:44 AM   #10
cookworm
Working the Gusset

Wow--what a lucky granddaughter! Who could blame her though--it's so soft!

I'm on flickr, too!