Old 04-28-2007, 11:21 PM   #1
mel.b
1st Leg of the Journey

How is a YO different to wrapping wool around needle twice?
Can someone explain to me how a YO is different to wrapping the wool around the needle twice? I've just started a simple lace pattern scarf that uses YO and I'm finding it hard to remember to bring the yarn to the front. However it seems to be same as wrapping the wool around the needle twice which I find easier to remember to do!

Thanks,
Mel.b
mel.b is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-29-2007, 12:30 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You only wrap the yarn around the needle once, usually. Some patterns may call for wrapping twice, but that's 2 YOs. Did you look at the video for YOs under increases in Basic Techniques?

sue
suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:01 AM   #3
mel.b
1st Leg of the Journey

Sorry, my question may not have been clear.

Sometimes when I make a scarf I wrap the wool around the needle twice, thus creating an extra stitch. I then drop the extra stitch on the next row making a nice big loop. Or you could knit the extra stitch.

When you do a YO, instead of the wool behind the needle, it's infront and wrapped around once, which also creates an extra stitch.

Is the end result different with these two stitches? Instead of doing a YO where the wool is infront of the needle, could I just leave it behind and wrap around twice instead?

I learnt the technique of wrapping around the wool twice before I learnt how to do a YO (which I learnt from the video on this site)I've done about 20 rows of my scarf now using the YO and have got the hang of putting the wool at the front, but because I don't hold my wool properly when I knit, it would be easier to just wrap it around twice if the end result is going to be the same.

Does that make sense now?

thanks,
mel.b
Old 04-29-2007, 01:20 AM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Wrapping twice will make an elongated stitch when you knit back the next row and drop the extra YO. I make my YOs like I make a knit stitch, only the right needle isn't inserted in a stitch on the left needle. It freezes up my brain to think of `yarn in front/back' or wherever. It's just the same motion as making a knit stich.

So I think the answer to your question is - yes, the results are different. Leave the yarn in back, wrap once around the needle so it's at the back again, and go on with your next stitch.

sue
Old 04-29-2007, 01:28 AM   #5
mel.b
1st Leg of the Journey

But if you don't drop the extra YO to make the elongated stitch and knit it instead, is the result the same as doing a YO with the yarn in front?

Sorry for all the questions & confusion! Maybe I just need to knit a sample and have a go at both and see how it ends up.

Mel.b
Old 04-29-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Between knit stitches a yo doesn't start with the wool in front. A yo is a wrap once between stitches, not a wrap twice when the needle is through a stitch.
So in the wrap-twice-knit stitch, there is just a really big stitch later on. No new stitch.

With a yo, there is an extra stitch created, stitch count will increase, and the new stitch is one that's not anchored very strongly in the previous row.

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:44 AM   #7
suzeeq
Knit On!

Originally Posted by mel.b
But if you don't drop the extra YO to make the elongated stitch and knit it instead, is the result the same as doing a YO with the yarn in front?

Sorry for all the questions & confusion! Maybe I just need to knit a sample and have a go at both and see how it ends up.

Mel.b
As sarah said, you don't YO with the yarn in front. If you wrap twice and don't drop the extra one, and knit it, you'll end up with another stitch.

sue
Old 04-29-2007, 06:20 PM   #8
mel.b
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by redwitch
So in the wrap-twice-knit stitch, there is just a really big stitch later on. No new stitch.

Sarah
But as Sue says below if you don't drop the extra one and knit it instead you do get an extra stitch.

Originally Posted by "suzeeq
If you wrap twice and don't drop the extra one, and knit it, you'll end up with another stitch.

sue
Argghhh...sorry for being so dense about this. I'm just learning and trying to get my head around it. What Sue has said above is what I mean - you end up with an extra stitch. So how is this extra stitch different to the one acheived by doing a YO?

Regarding YO's...

Originally Posted by redwitch
Between knit stitches a yo doesn't start with the wool in front. Sarah
Now I'm getting more confused. I learnt to do YO's from this site...

http://www.knittingbeyondthehebrides.../yarnover.html

where to do a YO you bring the wool to the front as though you were going to do a purl stitch but instead you then just do a normal knit stitch. Is there another way of doing a YO? Can someone direct me to a picture/video that shows it.

Ok...just looked at the video on this site of the YO and I THINK I know where my confusion comes from re: YO. When I knit I can't hold the wool properly. So in the video she is holding the yarn, bringing the yarn forward in front of the needle and then moves it more towards the back again. Whereas because i drop the yarn it stays in front and that's why I'm moving forwards and backwards. Does that makes sense

thanks for your patience,
Mel.b
Old 04-29-2007, 07:58 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Quote:
Argghhh...sorry for being so dense about this. I'm just learning and trying to get my head around it. What Sue has said above is what I mean - you end up with an extra stitch. So how is this extra stitch different to the one acheived by doing a YO?
It would make two extra stitches. I was going to mention that earlier, sorry.

A YO is only wrapping the stitch around the needle, not just bring the yarn fwd and knit the next stitch. That works if it's between two knits, but what if your next stitch is a purl? A lot of people run out of stitches because they think knitting the next stitch is part of the YO and it's not - As I said here:

Quote:
I make my YOs like I make a knit stitch, only the right needle isn't inserted in a stitch on the left needle.
... it's the same motion as making a knit stitch only your right needle isn't poked into another stitch. Amy's video here shows essentially the same thing I guess, but it's really brought around to the back more so you're ready for the next stitch.

I realize the british terms are a bit different than US terms, especially in this technique so it's confusing.

sue
Old 04-30-2007, 01:50 AM   #10
redwitch
Working the Gusset

You do bring the wool to the front, and then over the needle to the back again.

When you first bring the wool forward, you are doing that from the back, starting it with the wool in the back. You know how a normal knit stitch uses a wrap once around the needle ending up where it started off? That's
exactly what you do for a yo. Just while your rh needle is NOT through the lh needle stitch.

Between two knit stitches, a yo is equal to bringing the wool to the front, and then knitting the next.
Between other combinations of stitches, you do whatever movements are necessary to create a loop around the needle.

Practise on a swatch and look at how it works on future rows, you should start to get the idea.

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote