Old 04-20-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
OT - Goin' Greener and looking for ideas
Okay Earth Day is this weekend and I thought I would pick your brains. What ways have you found to make the footprint you leave on the earth a little smaller? The easy stuff and the hard stuff as well. It may not be feasible for all of us to start driving a hybrid or take mass transit, but there may be small stuff that you are doing too that we haven't thought of!

I just bought this set from ReusableBags.com. The black bags have a little pouch attached to the inside and the bag stuffs into it so it gets down to about a 2x3 pouch. perfect for throwing into my purse for when i am out shopping. The cotton bags are perfect for produce so you can stop using so many of those produce bags at the store. I am also going to write to all the local stores about offering discounts for people bringing in their own bags and another one for using paper instead of plastic. of course the kicker is that they have to advertise it. There are cheaper ways to get reusable bags of course... even reusing the plastic bags you already have or bringing back the paper ones! These are washable thoguh and i like that about them.

I am also slowly replacing all of my bulbs with CFL bulbs. They save a good little bit of money each year and they last as much as 5 years! I felt like i was replacing blown bulbs nearly every month in my joint. Haven't had to replace one of the CFL bulbs since i started switching

So... what are you doing? I am lookin' for ideas peoples!

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #2
marykz
Working the Gusset

we are switching dishwasher detergents to ones with less phosphates... we re-use those plastic water bottles a few times before recycling, we don't use fertilizers on our lawn nor do we water it.....

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
BostonBecca
Turning the Heel

I reuse the plastic bags I get at the grocery store and recycle them there as well. I use earth friendly soaps and detergents. I just don't take plastic bags at the grocery store for my fruit, I put them loose into the cart. I make sure I don't buy products with tons of packaging. I also refuse plastic bags at my CVS(drugstore) and just put stuff into my backpack. I have the reusable bags for my grocery store. I recycle.

A good idea for homeowners is to find stores in your area that sell (for cheap) recycled home building materials. You can find great stuff there that people have donated, or you can donate yourself if you are doing a remodel. My parents remodeled and they did a lot of it with materials from those type stores. Buying furniture secondhand actually really helps because hte manufcaturing processes produce a lot of waste. Composting helps a lot and they have a lot of systems that do not smell up your yarn because they are very enclosed. It's also a good way to get compost and fertilizer that does not have harmful effects on the environment. The soil you get is incredibly good for your lawn.

I think the best thing people can do is to educate their children about these issues and being a good example, that way you are doing better for hte environment, yourself, and raising future environmentally conscious consumers.

Way to go on decicing to make changes.

KnittingDefender on Ravelry.

BostonBecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
figaro
Working the Gusset

I tend to do a bunch of little things, recycle as much as possible, try to do as many errands in my Suburban (older model, NOT new) as I can, turn off lights and now I am unplugging things like the toaster, stereo, lights, etc. when not in use, and I have bought big reusable bags for groceries. They do pay when you use them but it is .02 per bag, the last grocery store gave .25 cents per bag. I am not doing it for the the money, but it seems kinda small to me. What bags I do have, I use again, dirty diapers, small can liners, etc. so they are not being thrown away after one use. We have cold water that goes from the well to the refrigerator so I don't buy water bottles, the one I do have I have used countless times. And of course there are all the clothes that the girls outgrow, they are all donated to a charity so they get a second life. I am sure that there is more but I can't think of them right now.

I wish that grocery stores here would charge for each bag you use, they do in Europe so when my MIL (in Holland) goes grocery shopping, she grabs as many of her own bags as possible (and she walks!). Unfortunatly I think that would probably outrage people for a while and then they would understand.

figaro
and also on Plurk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
I'm happy about moving back to Boston for a number of reasons, one of which is that even if I keep my car and bring it with me, I'll only be driving it once a month on the outside, and will be walking or taking public transit the rest of the time. I try to limit the number of bags I take, and I will look into getting some reusable ones. (Trader Joe's has some, but they don't look terribly sturdy.)

I hope more cities go the way of San Francisco, who recently banned stores from using plastic bags.

We also recycle--our town has curbside recyling, it alternates every week. Newspapers and cardboard, or "Co-mingled" which is cans and plastics. I also want to cut down on using plastic cups. My mom buys the red party cups, and I want to use fewer while I'm home. Once I'm on my own, I'll be using glasses, so that will be less of a problem.

If possible, it would be nice to line-dry my clothes, but I don't think it will be.

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:07 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,807 Times in 7,166 Posts
Great ideas so far everyone! Here's another site I've bought from.

Green Home Environmental products

ETA: Look at these beautiful bottles!!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
BostonBecca
Turning the Heel

Just an FYI-My boyfriend has the Trader Joe's bags and they are dfinately sturdy enough for transporting stuff from TJ's if you make a car trip, and I think they are sturdy enough for a trip on the T. He really likes them.

KnittingDefender on Ravelry.

BostonBecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
brendajos
Grafting the Toe

Location: Going through your stash...pay no attention over here
Send a message via Yahoo to brendajos
Please, those of you reusing plastic bottles, make sure you are giving them a good cleaning at least once a day. (I know you know that but it is a good way to get sick if you don't!)

(someone remember what else i was gonna say? It was going to go here but it has slipped my mind for the moment!)
Old 04-20-2007, 01:23 PM   #9
marykz
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by brendajos
Please, those of you reusing plastic bottles, make sure you are giving them a good cleaning at least once a day. (I know you know that but it is a good way to get sick if you don't!)

(someone remember what else i was gonna say? It was going to go here but it has slipped my mind for the moment!)
definitely- and we don't freeze them or heat them.

and I try to bring my own cups/ mugs to my favorite coffee place.

marykz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:28 PM   #10
Stiney
2nd Sock, I Rock

Send a message via AIM to Stiney
Originally Posted by BostonBecca
Just an FYI-My boyfriend has the Trader Joe's bags and they are dfinately sturdy enough for transporting stuff from TJ's if you make a car trip, and I think they are sturdy enough for a trip on the T. He really likes them.
Awesome! Depending where I live, I'll be walking or taking the T.

I went to the Coolidge Corner TJ's once, and the dude packed the bag too heavy and the bag broke before I got to the curb. I'm just lucky none of my jars broke.

Back on-topic, weren't there several threads earlier about making your own cleaning fluids instead of using harmful chemicals?

Am famoos!

Stiney is offline   Reply With Quote