Old 04-29-2007, 03:02 PM   #1
candy
Turning the Heel

why do I get a ridge?
I am stumped, I made my sons sweater in the round and where I was to inc I made them slant towards the edge. For the body I had to inc every 16 rows. The edge is nice and smooth and I have no ridge. Now I have done the sleeves over and over and I keep getting this ridge all the way up the sleeve just on the inc edge. I made the sleeves in the round too. At first I thought it was because I was making the join too loose or too tight. I used magic loop until I had enough sts on the needle to switch to knitting in the round the regular way. Then I thought maybe my incs were too tight or too loose but that does not seem to be it. It looks like one stitch is raised all the way up until I stop increasing. I looks like it is the right half of the first st and the left half of the last stitch.

What's up with that? The last time I made the sleeves I knit them flat and did the inc one st in from the edge and when I sewed it tog it looked great.

Should I knit one st then inc, knit to last st, inc, then knit the last st?

Would that take care of the ridge? Is it because they are slanting towards each other and then the edges rise?

What should I do? I have ripped them apart too many times and I am getting frusturated.
candy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
Boogs
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Boogs
Re: why do I get a ridge?
Originally Posted by candy
Should I knit one st then inc, knit to last st, inc, then knit the last st?
I guess you've not done that so far then. Possibly that would be your problem if the inc. stitches are too close together.

When I do sleeves in the round I leave a couple of stitches between increases or decreases as you have described and have never had a problem with a ridge.

Better luck this time!

I am not obsessed, I'm just highly pre-occupied!

Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
if your increase is 2 M1 seperated by one or two stitches, you will have a ridge from the supposed slipped stitches
the Kf&b makes for a flatter increase, but you have to look at the little flat piece of yarn in the second stitch
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
candy
Turning the Heel

ridge
I use the KRL and KLL for the inc. It does not do that on the body but I think it is because I am only inc every 16 rows where as on the sleeve I am inc every four rows. Once I stop the inc the ridge stops so I know it is from the inc. Next time I will leave one stitch on each side between the inc and see if it lays flat. Thank you for your help
Old 04-30-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
candy
Turning the Heel

ridge
Sorry, I forgot to say one more thing. The KRL and KLL are incs that are good incs if you have to a inc side by side. That is what Amy's video said and I have not noticed anything until now. I still think it is because I have so many (22 inc every 4 rows) that the ridge started.