Old 04-30-2007, 04:02 AM   #1
Simone
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Simone Send a message via Yahoo to Simone Send a message via Skype™ to Simone
Another question about the asterisk
what if it says:
K1, P1; rep from * across

OR

*K2, P2; ref from * across

The 'across' in the directions are throwing me. I'm sorry to be such a noob but I really want to get this right and trying to teach myself
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-30-2007, 06:05 AM   #2
Angelia

Whatever follows the asterisk you'll repeat across the row; oftentimes 'the row' is omitted, which may be throwing you off a bit. Or sometimes the directions will say "rep * to end" (I'm using a pattern worded that way right now).

If there are directions before or after the asterisk, then those you do only once. E.g.,

K1, *p1,k1*; rep * across; end p1

So in that example, the beginning k1 and ending p1 are done at the beginning and end of the row, respectively. Everything in between is the p1,k1 pair.

And please don't feel embarrassed about asking--we want to help you understand! Pattern directions are a whole other language when you're just beginning, and we've all had to learn it. So, ask away!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:42 AM   #3
Simone
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to Simone Send a message via Yahoo to Simone Send a message via Skype™ to Simone
Thanks
Angelia,
Thanks so much for the fast reply! I really appreciate you taking the time and this forum has already been IMMENSELY helpful. I only just now realized what everyone was talking about with making sure your yarn was in the front for purling and the back for knitting..lol

I have only been at it a week and I know it's ambitious but I am trying to knit my mother some slippers. She has family in Germany and the states that sometimes makes these for her and she loves them but never asks for them so I thought it would be a nice Mother's Day gift...but probably for next year at the rate I'm going :D
Simone is offline   Reply With Quote