Old 04-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
Debbie1519
1st Leg of the Journey

Attaching Kangaroo Pocket
Hi Everyone

You'll all be sick of my questions when this sweater is finished. I've just finished the kangaroo pocket. (knitted seperately) The pattern just says to sew in position to front. Can anyone tell me how I am supposed to do this? I don't really know how I am supposed to attach it?

Debbie
Debbie1519 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-29-2007, 09:09 PM   #2
cam90066
Working the Gusset

Assuming it's a 6-sided pocket (lower horiz edge, two short vert sides, two angled entries and the horiz top) you'd want to graft the bottom edge, then do mattress on the vert sides, and then finish with grafting along the top edge (make sure NOT to sew the openings!). Helps to take a thinner, contrasting yarn and weave it thru sts on the front of the sweater one st larger than the actual pocket so you can see exactly where to position and seam.

Basic Tech's (above) has info on seaming (grafting for horiz and mattress for the verts). Hopefully you allowed for a selvage st on the vert sides so you'll have a st for the seaming. The upper and lower edges will mean seaming in the CO and BO sts.

ETA: of you've not already done an edge st of some kind (crochet or otherwise) on the angled entries you could incorporate this as you attach the pocket. For example: seam the lower edge, then seam the left vert. Work the decorative edge of left angle. Then attach yarn at lower right and work right vert, work dec edge of right angle, finish by doing the top horiz seam.

HTH,

cam
Old 04-30-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
momwolf
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,135 Times in 706 Posts
heres a great site for pockets
http://www.studioknits.com/bookpage44.htm

momwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:42 AM   #4
Debbie1519
1st Leg of the Journey

Actually the pattern says to sew in place and then sew 1 1/4 up each side of opening. This is my first kangaroo pocket and this seems to be very complicated.

Debbie
Old 04-30-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
Debbie1519
1st Leg of the Journey

I had a look at how to do grafting and from what I can see my stitches have to be on two needles. The front of my sweater was knitted and binded off and then I knit the kangaroo pocket and that is binded off. Now it says to sew pocket in place to front of sweater. As it is now I could actually use the sweater as it is without the pocket. Everything is finished except the hood is not sew on. Help

Debbie
Old 04-30-2007, 11:53 AM   #6
cam90066
Working the Gusset

You can seam horiz to horiz, vert to vert...just a diff type of stitch. The visuals on studioknits are quite good so perhaps that'll offer you some insight. If the pattern says to do a portion of the opening, I'd do what it suggests. Attaching patch pockets isn't quite a complicated as it sounds. Just takes a bit of practice and knowing where to insert your needle (which part of the respective stitches to grab) on each so the attached pocket aligns properly with the body.

cam