Old 04-30-2007, 02:42 AM   #1
RiverDaughter
1st Leg of the Journey

OT- Fudge Recipes
There comes a time in every woman's life that she just wants a nice, thick hunk of fudge to eat while watching 'Little Princess'.

Unfortunately for me, I have misplaced my cookbook yet again (there weren't any fudge recipes in it anyway, I think), and I can't buy fudge do to my dairy intolerance. But, thanks to the miracle of science and far too many artificial chemicals, soy milks cooks like regular milk.

So, I put the question out to you awesome people: what's the best fudge recipe you know? From mint, to white, to macademia praline, I'm sure y'all have some great little note cards of candies past stored away just waiting to be shown up on the internet!

GENERATION 5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and increment the generation by 1. Consider it a social experiment.
RiverDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-30-2007, 08:15 AM   #2
baronreads
Knitting the Flap

I use the recipe on the Marshmallow Fluff jar. It is really NO FAIL! I make it every Christmas and give it for gifts. I swear by it! It calls for Evaporated Milk, but I can totally see where Soy Milk would work. I'm just not sure what's in the Fluff. You'd have to check it out. Good luck!

baronreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
PinkRoses
Knitting the Flap

Another good place to check is allrecipes.com. I love to read the reviews that people have left for different recipes. I found a really good apple pie and a carrot cake recipe. That site is fabulous!

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/
PinkRoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
baronreads
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by PinkRoses
Another good place to check is allrecipes.com. I love to read the reviews that people have left for different recipes. I found a really good apple pie and a carrot cake recipe. That site is fabulous!
ITA!! I LOVE Allrecipes! I always go there when I'm looking for a specific recipe. It's much faster than going through ALL my cookbooks! I suggest reading the comments before you make anything though, usually there are some really good suggestions from people who have tried the recipe already.

baronreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
bailsmom
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by baronreads
I use the recipe on the Marshmallow Fluff jar. It is really NO FAIL! I make it every Christmas and give it for gifts. I swear by it! It calls for Evaporated Milk, but I can totally see where Soy Milk would work. I'm just not sure what's in the Fluff. You'd have to check it out. Good luck!
I concur. This recipe is simply divine. My mom used to make it all the time when we were kids (such a long long long time ago ) It really is the best.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:00 PM   #6
merryknitter
Knitting the Flap

Fantasy Fudge
I think this is the one everyone is referring to!
Enjoy!

Fantasy Fudge
Marshmallow Cream Jar
Serves: 20
Prep. Time: 0:40

3 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup unsalted real butter
2/3 cup evaporated milk
12 oz. bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
7 oz. jar marshmallow cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts OR pecans - optional

-In a 2-quart saucepan, bring sugar, butter, and milk to a rolling boil (240 degrees) for 5 minutes, stirring constantly; remove from heat.
-Stir in chocolate chips, marshmallow cream, vanilla, then nuts.
-Pour into a greased 13" X 9" X 2" pan.
-Cool to room temperature before slicing.

Variations:

Peanut Butter Fudge: Substitute peanut butter chips for the chocolate chips; omit the nuts.
Cookies and Cream Fudge: Substitute white chocolate chips for the chocolate chips; substitute 1 cup crushed Oreos® for the nuts.
Creamsicle Fudge: Substitute white chocolate chips for the chocolate chips; substitute 2 tsp. orange extract for the vanilla; omit the nuts; pour half the prepared fudge into the pan, then stir in 4 drops yellow food coloring and 3 drops red food coloring into the remaining fudge; pour the orange fudge over the plain fudge and gently marble in with a butter knife.
Mocha Fudge: Stir 1/4 cup instant coffee granules into pan with the chocolate chips; omit the nuts.
Chocolate Mint Fudge: Substitute 2 tsp. peppermint extract for the vanilla; substitute 1/4 - 1/2 cup crushed candy canes for the nuts (optional).
Almond Fudge: Substitute 2 tsp. almond extract for the vanilla; substitute 1/2 cup chopped almonds for the walnuts (optional).
merryknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #7
losnana
Working the Gusset

Paula Dean has a recipe that contains Velveeta. You'd never know it and it is delicious. you can find it on foodnetwork.com
Old 04-30-2007, 08:56 PM   #8
BinkyKat
Instepping Out

I've had good luck with the Fantasy Fudge recipe too. The only time I make fudge is for my brother 'cuz my grandma would make fudge for him when he was a kid.
Another good recipe site is www.recipezaar.com
oh, and also, www.recipegoldmine.com
Old 04-30-2007, 09:23 PM   #9
spectorkitty
1st Leg of the Journey

I have to go with the one on the jar of marshmallow creme. It always works and is delicious!!

also, allrecipes.com is the best site for recipes! I can't even cook anymore without reading the reviews!! I have quite a few staples now from that site.
spectorkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:10 PM   #10
psammeadred
Working the Gusset

Is there a soy option for sweetened condensed milk? If so, my grandmother makes Four Chip Fudge at Christmas, and it's yummy! (I'm not sure if that's the actual recipe, but it looks right.)

Oh, and I second the Velveeta-containing fudge recipe! It really doesn't taste a bit like processed cheese.

psammeadred is offline   Reply With Quote