Old 04-30-2007, 09:14 PM   #1
mrs.hre
1st Leg of the Journey

OT WAY OFF TOPIC
can anyone give me a list of protein foods?
mrs.hre is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-30-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
Hildegard_von_Knittin
2nd Sock, I Rock

tofu!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Do you mean specialty pure protein foods or just what foods have protein? Flesh is mostly protein, so chicken/beef/pork/lamb/fish/seafood etc. count, are high in protein/mostly protein. Wool is mostly protein too come to think of it. You could probably eat it if you had to. Alpaca and cashmere, qiviut, yak, etc. but not bamboo or acrylics.
HTH
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
Mariblue
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by redwitch
Wool is mostly protein too come to think of it. You could probably eat it if you had to. Alpaca and cashmere, qiviut, yak, etc. but not bamboo or acrylics.
HTH

Nuts are also a good source of protein.
Mariblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:41 PM   #5
five_six
Turning the Heel

mushrooms are high in protein too, some species contain much more than others, but I can't remember which...

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
AnaK
1st Leg of the Journey

Beans, Beans the magical fruit The more you eat the more you toot
my DD sings that to us whenever I cook beans
And they do have protein
AnaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:02 PM   #7
redwitch
Working the Gusset

Everything alive has protein. That's the major function of DNA, it's a recipe/code for how to make proteins, so all living things will have some... veges etc. have protein but also starches, polysaccharides etc. in higher amounts but veges are pretty good for you so no reason you couldn't include those. But if you want specifically high-protein... yeah meat/flesh, nuts, eggs too, seeds, dairy, lentil-type foods.

If I can stick my big nose in... may I say that if you are thinking about a high-protein zero-carb diet (I know these have been popular lately) moderation applies here as in all things besides knitting and SEXs. Don't cut out anything from your diet *completely*... if you want to go without carbs keep a little bit. I know things like breads and other stuff with carbs can make people feel bloated, including me, but I can still have a slice of bread or two each day and a wide variety of things is really a good idea nutritionally. Don't eliminate ALL of one kind of food without advice from your doctor... if that's even why you're wondering about protein foods at all. Sorry. *steps off soapbox*

P.S. you can get recipes online either by searching for high-protein recipes/meals, or just type in the ingredients you have and see what pops up.
Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
ecb
Working the Gusset

Send a message via ICQ to ecb Send a message via AIM to ecb Send a message via MSN to ecb Send a message via Yahoo to ecb
If I can stick my big nose in... may I say that if you are thinking about a high-protein zero-carb diet (I know these have been popular lately) moderation applies here as in all things. Don't cut out anything from your diet *completely*... if you want to go without carbs keep a little bit.
Even Atkins has a minimum of carbs required to be consumed each day, but all of that is in Vegetables in the first few weeks, then only ruits and veggies after that, with a rare exception. I lost over 50# in a year on that way of eating. Its a shame life got so crazy and I went off it, I was really VERY healthy (even my Cholesterol and ratio were MUCH better)
I know things like breads and other stuff with carbs can make people feel bloated, including me, but I can still have a slice of bread or two each day and a wide variety of things is really a good idea nutritionally.
even just removing sugar and breads from your diet works wonders, just not the rapid weight loss of Atkins
Don't eliminate ALL of one kind of food without advice from your doctor... if that's even why you're wondering about protein foods at all. Sorry. *steps off soapbox*
Protein foods are
Lean Meats
Eggs (all kinds of eggs)
Dairy (all milks and cheeses, yogurts, etc)
Nuts and seeds (but these also have a lot of Oils in them)
Legumes/Beans
Peanuts
Tofu
any kind of animal

does this help?

ecb
Good judgement comes from experience
but Experience comes from Bad Judgment
ecb
ecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:26 AM   #9
VickyS456
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via AIM to VickyS456
ditto ecb's post. I've been a Low Carber since 2002 and my step mom has been since the 70s.

I eat a lot of fish, chicken breast, tuna, I have a protein shake with either a tbsp of peanut butter or a few berries each morning after I workout, lots of salads (with hard boiled egg whites, yum!), fresh veggies, and nuts here and there to snack on.

My DH cut out bread, pasta and sugar and lost 20 pounds. He could've lost more but he won't admit that beer has a LOT of carbs, and not the good kinds like in vegetables and fruit

Feel Free To Visit My Blog. It's new and pretty dull, but every blog deserves to be read even a little!
VickyS456 is offline   Reply With Quote