Old 04-30-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
knitgrrl
Ribbing the Cuff

Uneven sts.
Hi.I was wondering how you can fix uneven sts.
knitgrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 04-30-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
redwitch
Working the Gusset

It depends on why they are uneven. Generally blocking will make a big difference. If it is machine-washable a wash and dry will help tremendously too. If you have one huge stitch you can put most of the slack into the next stitch and continue redistributing slack along the row. What exact kind of problem are you seeing, and what fibre are you working with?

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
knitgrrl
Ribbing the Cuff

uneven sts.
Hi.I'am using just sock yarn and size 2 dpns.My sts are messy .They are a abit bigger than the rest of the sts.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:52 PM   #4
redwitch
Working the Gusset

What do you mean 'your stitches are a bit bigger than the rest of the stitches'? Do you mean the cast-on row or stitches look different? Depending on what cast-on technique you used that might just be the way it is... castons look different from knitted fabric (some more so than others).
Or if you are starting at the cuff you need the caston to be big and loose to stretch out around the calf.
If you are starting from the toes the first one or two rounds may be looser... the only thing to do that I know of is to go back later and tighten them up one after the other with the needle tip.

Or if you are fairly new to knitting your stitches may be uneven you just need to practise to fix that. What pattern and caston are you using?

Sarah
redwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 08:20 AM   #5
carmabelle1191
Turning the Heel

That used to happen to me I used to have these huge stitches compared to these neat and tiny stitches, and it used to drive me nuts. I think not having those comes with experience. I would just follow what redwitch ssaid to do and you should be ok.

My Knitter's Geek Code:
KCR+ Exp+ SPM+(+) Addi+@ KPO++ !Pl Bam-( ) Cas> Syn- Cot++@ Wool(+) Hemp>? Stash++(+) Scale++ Fin+? Ent> FI>? Tex>? Lace>? Felt-? Flat(+) Circ+ ML+ DPN- - Swatch(+) KIP+ Blog EZ(?) FO+ WIP(-) GaugeW (DK) F> S> Sp>?
carmabelle1191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:39 PM   #6
knitgrrl
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi. I mean that the stitches are abit out of wack like their abit bigger than the rest.I'am at the leg of the sock .I'm using the long tail cast on for my socks.How do you tighten them up one after the other one with the needle tip?.I'm a new sock knitter so this is my first sock for myself.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
five_six
Turning the Heel

I'm a bit daft, but I still don't get what your saying. A bit whack compared to which other stitches... are they within the same row as your neat stitches, or have you been making neat stitches and are suddenly making larger uneven ones? It would really help to see a pic of what your doing, if possible.

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
carmabelle1191
Turning the Heel

I agree with five_six, pics would be helpful!

My Knitter's Geek Code:
KCR+ Exp+ SPM+(+) Addi+@ KPO++ !Pl Bam-( ) Cas> Syn- Cot++@ Wool(+) Hemp>? Stash++(+) Scale++ Fin+? Ent> FI>? Tex>? Lace>? Felt-? Flat(+) Circ+ ML+ DPN- - Swatch(+) KIP+ Blog EZ(?) FO+ WIP(-) GaugeW (DK) F> S> Sp>?
carmabelle1191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
knitgrrl
Ribbing the Cuff

Hi.They are within the same row as my neat stitches.Sorry i don't have any pictures of my sock sts.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
five_six
Turning the Heel

If they are within the same row, then that just comes down to experience as some of the others have said. With practice and more practice, your tension will 'even' out. Unless I'm wrong, and you've been knitting for years, but it's usually something that happens to us all when you start. You could experiment with wrapping your yarn around your fingers in different ways, to see if this helps with your tension, but really, it will come with time.

To even them out, you just use your needle tip, or any other sharp pointy thing, to adjust the stitches beside them. Just insert said tip into the strands of the stitches beside the uneven stitches, starting with the closest ones, and give a little lift on the needle, to pull some of the yarn from the large stitches, into the smaller stitches, until you like the look of the large stitch. The extra yarn you have just moved will be sticking up out of the stitch you just manipulated, move onto the next strand next to this one and do the same thing. Keep doing this to each strand, moving away from the uneven stitches, until you have redistributed the yarn into the other stitches to get the result you desire. You will have less and less yarn to move each time until you end up with none left to really manipulate, and your stitches should look more even.

Not sure if this is really a clear explaination, but I don't really know how else to put it.

If a little dreaming is dangerous, then the cure is not to dream less, but to dream more... to dream all the time! - Proust

currently recruiting for the war i am waging on time, there will be many casualties, but we will be victorious
five_six is offline   Reply With Quote